Transferring Files from another hard drive.

pudgy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have two hard drives on my computer. I want to be able to transfer files between the two. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to get some files from one hard drive and put it on mine. How can I do that? Will I be able to view the other hard drive from My Computer, because I can't. These both have the same OS (Win 98 SE). Thank You.

mpjesse

Splendid
first off, you need to deltree windows on that other hard drive so it doesn't get any ideas and try to boot from it. then once you get into windows you should be able to see the drive. Your post was kind of confusing- please clarify a little.

-MP Jesse

pudgy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, there are files on the first hard drive that I want to put on the second hard drive. I really don't want to delete Windows, cause of those files I want to get. Is there any way I can get files from the first hard drive and transfer them to the second hard drive?

G

>>I have two hard drives on my computer. I want to be able to transfer files between the two. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to get some files from one hard drive and put it on mine.<<

Easily possible. No deletion of any kind is needed. For IDE, you can have 8 operating systems on one drive and 1 on the primary master and you are going boot from the primary master.

>>How can I do that?<<

Depends how your current set up is. Maybe you could tell us if you have any CD-Rom(s), etc, how they are set up master/slave wise, and which IDE controllers are used.

>>Will I be able to view the other hard drive from My Computer, because I can't. These both have the same OS (Win 98 SE). Thank You.<<

Yes when setup properly. More than likely if you pulled it from another computer. It is set as master, and you are installing it on the primary in the current computer, which is set to master. Set it to slave, and check the bios to recognize the drive.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

Thats correct, set the drive as slave, and get the bios to recognise it as the secondry drive, then when you load Win, you will be able to see the second drive, the bios should auto decect it as well

G

so wait let me get this straight. the system only boots up from the primary hard drive? what happends if lets say i have 4 hard drives on both channels, all hard drives have os on them. In this case i'll have primary HD on one channel and primary HD on the secon , which one is going to be used to boot up?

G

In general circumstances when you set a bios to boot from C and have a drive on primary channel as master (thus the first primary partition of this drive is assigned C) and there is a bootable OS on it, this is what boots. So without a bootmanager for multiple OSes or a bios that gives you more control of the boot device, it doesn't matter what's installed on other drives.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***