[SOLVED] Transferring M.2 to new laptop?

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
My gaming laptop broke down all of a sudden. I think what caused it was the battery because when i opened it up it was a bit swollen. I managed to remove my M.2 NVME SSD (has operating system)and my 2.5inch SATA SSD (literally only has steam on it). I want to remove any personal information from my m.2 nvme ssd because there are a lot of websites where in i was logged in automatically.

Would I be able to install the m.2 ssd to another laptop which has the slot for it and would I be the same as if my laptop never broke down? My brother has a laptop with one m.2 slot which is occupied with its own ssd which has its operating system. Is it possible for me to remove his m.2 ssd and install my own m.2 ssd and make the laptop use my old ssd as its boot drive so that I can clean my ssd?

I found some m.2 ssd enclosures on the internet so i can plug the ssd in via usb, will that work better? thanks.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, you can most likely put the m.2 drive in another laptop and it will boot. If it does not, you will need to buy the external adapter (Make sure it is for NVME M.2 as there are some for SATA M.2 that look very similar) to clean the drive.

My gaming laptop broke down all of a sudden. I think what caused it was the battery because when i opened it up it was a bit swollen. I managed to remove my M.2 NVME SSD (has operating system)and my 2.5inch SATA SSD (literally only has steam on it). I want to remove any personal information from my m.2 nvme ssd because there are a lot of websites where in i was logged in automatically.

Would I be able to install the m.2 ssd to another laptop which has the slot for it and would I be the same as if my laptop never broke down? My brother has a laptop with one m.2 slot which is occupied with its own ssd which has its operating system. Is it possible for me to remove his m.2 ssd and install my own m.2 ssd and make the laptop use my old ssd as its boot drive so that I can clean my ssd?

I found some m.2 ssd enclosures on the internet so i can plug the ssd in via usb, will that work better? thanks.
The only way to know is to try it.
Here's why.
The SSD has an OS on it that is expecting your hardware...not his.
It may work...or there may be problems.
It can't hurt to try it.

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
A Windows OS is NOT modular. Moving between systems usually fails.
Especially laptops.

So I'm guessing its better for me to just get an NVME enclosure and copy my important files and just wipe it clean? I don't want to accidentally break something on the different laptop.

and if ever I do manage to get it wiped, can I install it on a desktop motherboard and will it work?