Transferring Wii Data to the Wii U is a Complicated Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
not to bad, misleading title.. compare to the ms 360 had to use a special $20 transfer kit just to use a new hard drive on the current gen

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
What is the method for those of us who have been saving our data ti SD cards from the start? will we need the app as well or can we just pop it right into the Wii U?

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
No Gamecube support = fail.

Hell even the PS3 (ye olde Phat version) can play PS2 AND PS1 games. If Sony can pull off two generations of backwards compatibility (if only for a while), why can't Nintendo?

It's actually the perfect evil grand master plan to hoard a bunch of early adopter sales. Just say that the console will be backwards compatible with both prior generations, BUT ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME. That way, herds of oldskoolers will rush to buy it since they have no idea when Nintendo will choke the golden goose and release a smaller- excuse me- "SLIMMER" console which will have none of the features that made the original awesome, but hey, it's 20% smaller AND 20% cheaper!
What a steal!

Suckers.

G

Certain data and game saves are not transferable from the Wii's internal memory to SD card. Hopefully, the process needed to transfer data from the Wii to the U will fix this issue.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nun[/nom]not to bad, misleading title.. compare to the ms 360 had to use a special $20 transfer kit just to use a new hard drive on the current gen[/citation]

And don't forget about the $99 wireless adapter, or the non-market price for a HDD upgrade, or the console games having a higher price to pay for the subsidization of the consoles.

So much for picking consoles as a low-budget gaming rig.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]No Gamecube support = who cares.

Hell even the PS3 (ye olde Phat version) can play a couple of PS2 AND even fewer PS1 games.[/citation]

Fixed that for ya ;)

G

I don't see an issue here. Basically this is for everything but if you don't have vc stuff, you just copy the files to the sd card and move it to the wii u. This is ONLY for protected game saves and vc purchases... So what, you have to do it this one time. big whoop.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
How is this complicated at all? It's as easy as it can get, they're trying to prevent people from copying protected/paid content from existing on two systems, allowing the user to sell off the old one with the purchases and still keep them on Wii U. Perhaps not the best idea though since Wii is "hacked" and you can get anything off VC for free. Wonder if it will copy over homebrew channel?

[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]No Gamecube support = fail.Hell even the PS3 (ye olde Phat version) can play PS2 AND PS1 games. If Sony can pull off two generations of backwards compatibility (if only for a while), why can't Nintendo?[/citation]

They can still put GC games on VC. The architecture is likely too different by this point to be compatible with GC at a hardware level. Are you saying you wanted them to put out a third generation based on GC architecture? I sure don't.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]No Gamecube support = fail.Hell even the PS3 (ye olde Phat version) can play PS2 AND PS1 games. If Sony can pull off two generations of backwards compatibility (if only for a while), why can't Nintendo?It's actually the perfect evil grand master plan to hoard a bunch of early adopter sales. Just say that the console will be backwards compatible with both prior generations, BUT ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME. That way, herds of oldskoolers will rush to buy it since they have no idea when Nintendo will choke the golden goose and release a smaller- excuse me- "SLIMMER" console which will have none of the features that made the original awesome, but hey, it's 20% smaller AND 20% cheaper!What a steal!Suckers.[/citation]

because they put a ps2 into the ps3, and sold it at about a 400$ loss per console.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]No Gamecube support = fail.Hell even the PS3 (ye olde Phat version) can play PS2 AND PS1 games. If Sony can pull off two generations of backwards compatibility (if only for a while), why can't Nintendo?It's actually the perfect evil grand master plan to hoard a bunch of early adopter sales. Just say that the console will be backwards compatible with both prior generations, BUT ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME. That way, herds of oldskoolers will rush to buy it since they have no idea when Nintendo will choke the golden goose and release a smaller- excuse me- "SLIMMER" console which will have none of the features that made the original awesome, but hey, it's 20% smaller AND 20% cheaper!What a steal!Suckers.[/citation]
Isn't that exactly what Sony did with the PS3?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Doesn't sound too horrible to me, both consoles are wireless so having them connected to the internet at the same time isn't an issue.

This is obviously the only way Nintendo can make sure that people don't duplicate the content across both consoles when they transfer the data, and as someone already mentioned they aren't charging you 20$ (like MS did) for a transfer tool.

Knowing Nintendo's past, the instructions on the transfer process should be fairly clear, they generally don't leave a whole lot to the imagination when it comes to technical things they expect their customers to perform.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hassle? LOL I'm just glad they even have a process that works.

I should be a bit more demanding though, so they up their ante and create an even better process ^^

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Personally, in regards to the backwards compatibility issue, I would love if console makers were required to release an emulator for their newest console that allows play for every single game on their consoles dating back to the birth of the CD in consoles.

Microsoft wouldn't have to support playing PS1-3 games on their consoles, but they would have to support Xbox and 360 games... all of them.
Same thing for Nintendo and Gamecube - Wii games on the Wii U.

There is no feasible explanation why a software emulator cannot be designed to do this on hardware that is multiple times more powerful than the older hardware.

Only explanation is greed on that part of the console makers and trying to get people to buy the "NEW HD SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS, compatible totally with PS3!"

wmalinowski

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Actually, this very similar to transfer data from 3DS to 3DS XL. The only problem it could quite of time to transfer the data depending on much have you have to transfer.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I want to use the Pro controller with everything I have bought on the virtual console. If I can do that, and not have to rebuy all the VC games I already bought, then I will buy one.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]nun[/nom]not to bad, misleading title.. compare to the ms 360 had to use a special $20 transfer kit just to use a new hard drive on the current gen[/citation]

I never really quite got that, could u give some more input please, coz I had no problems, transferring my content from my old model 20gig 360 to a flash drive then to my newer 256gig slim...

G

I bought a game through the wii market and downloaded it to my SD so I could play it on any wii I wished. However, when I tried it it failed to work. It was only allowed to work with my previous wii. Now having a mixture of data all ready on the SD and on the wii itself, and being able to take and compile that data and switch the owner over to the new wii-u system...I doubt this "app" of theirs is going to work. Obviously, here in a few days, I'll be able to see. But regardless, I have my doubts this'll work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.