Tray or Box Purchase?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Never heard of either version, where are you buying the cpu from?

Edit: Wait, tray and box can refer to OEM and retail versions of parts, is that what you mean? If so, get the retail version unless your planning on getting an after markey hsf, the OEM version doesnt come with a hsf. Also, the OEM version of cpu's (and most other parts for that matter) come with a shorter warrenty, or none at all.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
When you say tray, do you mean OEM? If you are then I would suggest a box processor. With the boxed processor you get a 3 year warranty vs. 30 days.

architecture1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007

Edit: Wait, tray and box can refer to OEM and retail versions of parts, is that what you mean? If so, get the retail version unless your planning on getting an after markey hsf, the OEM version doesnt come with a hsf. Also, the OEM version of cpu's (and most other parts for that matter) come with a shorter warrenty, or none at all.

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=E6700&cat=

There are two options, w/only $5 separating the two. Looks like a packaging issue, but I don't know why one would choose one over the other.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=E6700&cat=

There are two options, w/only $5 separating the two. Looks like a packaging issue, but I don't know why one would choose one over the other.

Uh, for $5 bucks...get the box version.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Boxed is best if you do not overclock and want the best warrantee, OEM or Tray CPUs are not warranteed by the CPU maker.

Also, Tray is a bit of a misnomer, it really should be OEM. A tray refers to a carrier with many CPUs:

Intel740Tray.jpg

This is a tray.

You know, that's what I thought when I first read the title.

I thought the OP was planning on buying a tray of 1000 units. :lol:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Boxed is best if you do not overclock and want the best warrantee, OEM or Tray CPUs are not warranteed by the CPU maker.

Also, Tray is a bit of a misnomer, it really should be OEM. A tray refers to a carrier with many CPUs:

Intel740Tray.jpg

This is a tray.

Jack, maybe thats how the manufacturers carry them, but those of us who know you better know you treat yours a little more cautiously :wink:

01carseatcpugq1.jpg

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
*shudders* Please don't start another forum hijack about the consequences of using styrofoam which apparently will kill you if mixed with the delicate CPU :lol:

I would buy the tray, thats 100 CPU's for how much? :lol:

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Buy from Newegg. Newegg doesn't do Tiger shipping, they will send your product to you in a remodeled Corvette Stingray driven by a beautiful blonde who like beer... and you. [/impersonating Newegg fanboy]
-cm

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Bad childhood styrofoam memories.

YOUNG ERIC: "MOOOOMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!"
MOTHER: "What's wrong, dear, sweet Eric? Oh, you have a GIANT BLOCK of styrofoam down your throat. You are also a very ugly baby."

Those were the days.
-cm