[SOLVED] Tricked or Windows 7 fault?

Feb 28, 2021
Hi all,

weird situation i have here. Any help is welcome.
I possess GTX 750 Ti and Windows 7, that shows my card has only 1gb of graphic memory. When purchasing, i insisted on version of this card that has 2gb memory.

Was i tricked or is Windows 7 having problems with cards with more than 1gb, as i heard?

DSzymborski

Titan
Windows 7 could definitely handle more than 1 GB of VRAM. If it couldn't, there would have been a major uproar given that mainstream GPUs with more than 1 GB of VRAM were widely available in 2010 and 2011 and Windows 7 was the newest Windows until late 2012! Like a lot of people, I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I would have been angered enough to remember if my 7970 GHz edition was stuck at 1 GB of VRAM for four years!

Your GPU seems legit. The most likely story is that by accident or shenanigans, you asked for a 2 GB 750 Ti and got the 1 GB one instead. As mislabeled GPUs go, you're actually quite fortunate; lots and lots of people get "750 Ti" GPUs that are older cheaper ones that have been hacked into looking like 750 Tis.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Hi all,

weird situation i have here. Any help is welcome.
I possess GTX 750 Ti and Windows 7, that shows my card has only 1gb of graphic memory. When purchasing, i insisted on version of this card that has 2gb memory.

Was i tricked or is Windows 7 having problems with cards with more than 1gb, as i heard?
You may well have gotten a bogus GPU.

Install and run GPU-Z. That can generally identify validity.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I read before a guy bought a big gpu card online and with funny packeging. So he installed it and kept getting bsod. Decided to remove the heatsink and checked the chip. It was a totally diffrent gpu than advertised. He flashed the card with the correct bios for the chip and it work perfectly but it was a old gpu.

Win 7 with more than 1g gpu. I have a i3 2nd gen cpu, 4gig ram ddr3, a cheap foxconn mobo running a gtx1050 oc 2gig without any problemes in win 7 64bit. The pc is 12 years old

DSzymborski

Titan
Windows 7 could definitely handle more than 1 GB of VRAM. If it couldn't, there would have been a major uproar given that mainstream GPUs with more than 1 GB of VRAM were widely available in 2010 and 2011 and Windows 7 was the newest Windows until late 2012! Like a lot of people, I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I would have been angered enough to remember if my 7970 GHz edition was stuck at 1 GB of VRAM for four years!

Your GPU seems legit. The most likely story is that by accident or shenanigans, you asked for a 2 GB 750 Ti and got the 1 GB one instead. As mislabeled GPUs go, you're actually quite fortunate; lots and lots of people get "750 Ti" GPUs that are older cheaper ones that have been hacked into looking like 750 Tis.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS