[SOLVED] Tricked or Windows 7 fault?

Feb 28, 2021
Hi all,

weird situation i have here. Any help is welcome.
I possess GTX 750 Ti and Windows 7, that shows my card has only 1gb of graphic memory. When purchasing, i insisted on version of this card that has 2gb memory.

Was i tricked or is Windows 7 having problems with cards with more than 1gb, as i heard?

Solution
Windows 7 could definitely handle more than 1 GB of VRAM. If it couldn't, there would have been a major uproar given that mainstream GPUs with more than 1 GB of VRAM were widely available in 2010 and 2011 and Windows 7 was the newest Windows until late 2012! Like a lot of people, I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I would have been angered enough to remember if my 7970 GHz edition was stuck at 1 GB of VRAM for four years!

Your GPU seems legit. The most likely story is that by accident or shenanigans, you asked for a 2 GB 750 Ti and got the 1 GB one instead. As mislabeled GPUs go, you're actually quite fortunate; lots and lots of people get "750 Ti" GPUs that are older cheaper ones that have been hacked into looking like...

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all,

weird situation i have here. Any help is welcome.
I possess GTX 750 Ti and Windows 7, that shows my card has only 1gb of graphic memory. When purchasing, i insisted on version of this card that has 2gb memory.

Was i tricked or is Windows 7 having problems with cards with more than 1gb, as i heard?
You may well have gotten a bogus GPU.

Install and run GPU-Z. That can generally identify validity.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I read before a guy bought a big gpu card online and with funny packeging. So he installed it and kept getting bsod. Decided to remove the heatsink and checked the chip. It was a totally diffrent gpu than advertised. He flashed the card with the correct bios for the chip and it work perfectly but it was a old gpu.

Win 7 with more than 1g gpu. I have a i3 2nd gen cpu, 4gig ram ddr3, a cheap foxconn mobo running a gtx1050 oc 2gig without any problemes in win 7 64bit. The pc is 12 years old

DSzymborski

Titan
Windows 7 could definitely handle more than 1 GB of VRAM. If it couldn't, there would have been a major uproar given that mainstream GPUs with more than 1 GB of VRAM were widely available in 2010 and 2011 and Windows 7 was the newest Windows until late 2012! Like a lot of people, I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I would have been angered enough to remember if my 7970 GHz edition was stuck at 1 GB of VRAM for four years!

Your GPU seems legit. The most likely story is that by accident or shenanigans, you asked for a 2 GB 750 Ti and got the 1 GB one instead. As mislabeled GPUs go, you're actually quite fortunate; lots and lots of people get "750 Ti" GPUs that are older cheaper ones that have been hacked into looking like 750 Tis.

Solution