[SOLVED] Tried multiple solutions already. BSOD w/ WHEA uncorrectable

May 25, 2020
I'm kind of a noob to PCs but learning quickly ... I just have this painful issue. I don't know how to link my Crash Dumps but I use the WHoCrashed app and this is what I get:

Usually I get this-
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052520-9890-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x48188)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x4, 0xFFFF9D8A43C3C488, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

But occasionally I get this:
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: rt64.sys (rt640x64+0x4ECF)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x4, 0xFFFF9D8A43C3C488, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: rt64.sys .
Google query: rt64.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 on an ASROCK a320-hdv r4, and 15.9 gb of RAM
Recently I cloned my boot drive to an NCME ssd and have done a reinstall of windows from a .ISO

The thing is, the PC runs fine until I choose to Stream games (usually just from my xbox with an external capture device) or I use ZOOM for work.

Not sure what to do.

Solution
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://demandingproblem.htmlpasta.com/
File information:052520-9890-01.dmp (May 25 2020 - 14:32:41)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for rt640x64.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

File information:052420-9031-01.dmp (May 24 2020 - 15:40:03)
Probably...

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
copy the minidumps to another folder
Upload the copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here.

what are rest of specs of PC?
What is name of external capture device?

wonder what rt64.sys is, a post of mine from 2 years ago seems to suggest its possibly lan drivers.
I can see results for it maybe being part of MSI Afterburner as well, I don't like being unsure (not sure I should trust myself from 2 years ago)

it could as just as easily be realtek sound drivers too. Not being able to accurately identify what this driver is actually part of doesn't help. This is how to update sound drivers now - https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=469

Reactions: Prof_Chungus
May 25, 2020
Hi Colif,

Thanks for trying to help out. Here's a link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C9lbm-Pg0F7iRirfWqmHP-IJIwmnRgcU?usp=sharing

Here's the specs for the PC in full:
Ryzen 5 3600
asrock a320 hdv r4 MB
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050ti
I run a dual monitor
The External Capture device is an Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 that feeds my Xbox capture to my pc via a USB 2.0
My Boot is a 500gb NVME WD Black
I have a seagate Firecuda for my games and a WD Blue for backup

You'll notice that I've been getting the dumps/BSOD often in that folder.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://demandingproblem.htmlpasta.com/
File information:052520-9890-01.dmp (May 25 2020 - 14:32:41)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

File information:052420-9031-01.dmp (May 24 2020 - 15:40:03)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 19 Sec(s)

File information:052420-12750-01.dmp (May 24 2020 - 15:36:34)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:051920-8687-01.dmp (May 19 2020 - 15:42:28)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 48 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

File information:051920-10234-01.dmp (May 19 2020 - 14:40:26)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)
I'll not guess on this one because it's pointing to your Realtek NIC driver yet at the same time saying it's a hardware issue (WHEA).

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/a320m-hdv r4.0/index.asp
You have BIOS version 2.30 and the latest is 3.70. There are special update instructions and the newer BIOS might not be compatible with your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Solution
May 25, 2020
Hi Gardenman,

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for more info but I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this!

I'm verifying that this is, in fact, my motherboard. I had updated the BIOS up to the 2.3 which was recommended as the most I needed to update to before installing my Ryzen 5 (I had a Ryzen 3 1200 before).

gardenman

Splendid
2.3 might be the highest you can go. The last two have the following warning:
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

Processor Version: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

I believe your processor is part of the Matisse line according to this page, but wait for more confirmation about this from others. Colif or someone else will know more about it and reply later.

Don't update the BIOS yet.

May 25, 2020
I'm beginning to wonder more and more if the reasons for the BSOD and the crashing during streaming is because of my BIOS only at 2.3. More and more research points me to my bios not being optimized to handle the CPU ... although i know my motherboard itself as a piece of hardware isn't ideal for a Ryzen 5 3600. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help me put this issue to rest!

May 25, 2020
So far no issues since I upgraded the BIOS to the max. I streamed for the first time and went nearly 3 hours without any BSOD. I'm glad that worked. I made some other changes before starting so I can't be 100% certain on this but I'm 90% sure it was the BIOS update that fixed it. Much appreciated, you guys!

Note: I'd have given Colif the trophy but it was Gardenman who isolated it to the BIOS. Also, Colif has enough trophies already :p

Reactions: gardenman

TRENDING THREADS