Tried my GF4 Ti with Deer 250W PSU...

I tried to test this card with my cheap Deer 250W PSU (the
only PSU in my possession at the moment). The screen would flicker
with some weird patterns at first when powered up, but would then
blank to a black screen. Would an under-powered PSU cause this, or
does it sound like the card is a dud? The post I read about weak PSU,
and these cards complained about unstable performance, and random
reboots.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

that PSU is definitely underpowered for that card so you wont know
if the card is good until you try it with a decent PSU.

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> I tried to test this card with my cheap Deer 250W PSU (the
> only PSU in my possession at the moment). The screen would flicker
> with some weird patterns at first when powered up, but would then
> blank to a black screen. Would an under-powered PSU cause this, or
> does it sound like the card is a dud? The post I read about weak PSU,
> and these cards complained about unstable performance, and random
> reboots.

Dino

I thought you said in the last post that you had another PSU ordered..if so
wait for it to come and try it then. I also said that my Ti4200 on a generic
350 PSU started rebooting and yes I had some artifacts show up in games when
I replaced my G3Ti200 with the Ti4200. My main system never had these issues
with the G4 because it already had an Enermax465 in it. Now both my systems
have 465's and I have no vid issues with either.

dino wrote:
> I thought you said in the last post that you had another PSU ordered..if so
> wait for it to come and try it then. I also said that my Ti4200 on a generic
> 350 PSU started rebooting and yes I had some artifacts show up in games when
> I replaced my G3Ti200 with the Ti4200. My main system never had these issues
> with the G4 because it already had an Enermax465 in it. Now both my systems
> have 465's and I have no vid issues with either.

A decent 300w PSU should be more than enough for either a TI200 or the
TI4200. Having artifacting and or the inability to boot the card
indicates you either have severe issues with your system overall (RAM
timings, a bad chipset, irregular voltage from the mains), or your PSU
is faulty. As long as the PSU is not a 10.00 cheapo then 300 to 350w
should be more than adequate for either card, with 4 drives too.

"duralisis" <NOduralisisSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote
> is faulty. As long as the PSU is not a 10.00 cheapo then 300 to 350w
> should be more than adequate for either card, with 4 drives too.

I have an Antec 300w and am pondering getting a fx5900xt an amd 2700xp. Do
you think it will handle it, with 2 HD's?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

You need a DECENT power supply to test it.

--
DaveW

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> I tried to test this card with my cheap Deer 250W PSU (the
> only PSU in my possession at the moment). The screen would flicker
> with some weird patterns at first when powered up, but would then
> blank to a black screen. Would an under-powered PSU cause this, or
> does it sound like the card is a dud? The post I read about weak PSU,
> and these cards complained about unstable performance, and random
> reboots.

I have a 250w power supply in my Dell and I am using a ti4200 with no
problems whatsoever. I also had (for about a week) an FX5200 - no
power issues with that card, either.

Gil

On 22 Apr 2004 16:12:07 -0700, gilbert.j.violette@worldnet.att.net
(Gil Violette) wrote:

>I have a 250w power supply in my Dell and I am using a ti4200 with no
>problems whatsoever. I also had (for about a week) an FX5200 - no
>power issues with that card, either.
>
>Gil

It was the PSU causing my problem. I got a cheap 520W PSU, and
the card now works fine. I guess if I enventually move upto a FX59xx
card, I'll need to move to a larger PSU again. I know I could buy a
high quality model and be done with it, but they cost $40, and more,
and at $10 to $15 for the cheapos, I'll take my chances. :)