[SOLVED] Tried setting Vcore on BIOS to 1.2v, can it dmg my ryzen5600x?

Oct 23, 2021
Quick one, my 5600x was always at 90cel when i was gaming
So I found this temporary solution:
1.)enter BIOS
2.) find Core Voltage(it can be also named Vcore,VDCCR CPU Voltage..) and change from "AUTO" to 1.2V.
3.) set your CPU Clock Speed from "AUTO" to 4.5GHz (BIOS can offer you some speeds which appear like 45,45.25 etc.)
4.) Don't forget to save changes and then exit BIOS

I only changed my vcore to 1.2v and it kind of fixed the problem, now my cpu is around 60c-70c when gaming instead of 85c~
I realise it can make my PC crash cause 1.2v will probably not be enough .
Just wanted to ask your for your opinions if having low voltage for cpu not gonna dmg it somehow

Solution
Oh I never knew I can take that approach and limit my temperature
but what happens when it reaches 80c? it will just cap the usage of voltage and ghz? it wont crash or something?
I've set a limit of 80C on my 3700X. The only obvious effect I see is it simply never goes over 80C except for occasional and brief spikes. Obviously it's limiting clocks and along with that I'm sure it's also not raising voltage as high since it's not needed.

But it only does that when average die temps are around the 80c limit. Light bursty work loads, as with gaming, aren't affected since average temps never rise that high. But a really heavy all-core AVX workload...like Prime95...will take a few seconds longer through each factoring. That's only to...

Lutfij

Titan
What sort of voltages did you see when on AUTO? What sort of a cooler are you working with? Ambient room air temps? Airflow inside your case(fan orientation and number of fans)? Might want to also mention the rest of the specs to give context to your build/thermals. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? PBO enabled or disabled?

Low voltage won't damage the CPU...but it might damage your Windows installation if it's too crashy.

BTW, it's expected and by design for Ryzen 5000 CPU's reach up to 90C in operation...although that's mostly Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 CPU's. But even 5600X's have a Tjmax of 95C so 90C isn't doing any harm. So what you've really found is a bad solution to a non-problem.

The better approach is to get off the stock cooler, which is barely adequate as you're finding. But if you want a temporary solution until you get one then go looking for the platform thermal limiter setting and set it to 80C...or 75C...or whatever you deem an acceptable temperature. Leave the rest of the settings (Vcore and Core Clocks) in AUTO so it will at least be stable in all useage scenarios. The algorithm will use the settimg to limit boosting, and voltage, to keep average max temps in that area.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021
Low voltage won't damage the CPU...but it might damage your Windows installation if it's too crashy.

BTW, it's expected and by design for Ryzen 5000 CPU's reach up to 90C in operation...although that's mostly Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 CPU's. But even 5600X's have a Tjmax of 95C so 90C isn't doing any harm. So what you've really found is a bad solution to a non-problem.

The better approach is to get off the stock cooler, which is barely adequate as you're finding. But if you want a temporary solution until you get one then go looking for the platform thermal limiter setting and set it to 80C...or 75C...or whatever you deem an acceptable temperature. Leave the rest of the settings (Vcore and Core Clocks) in AUTO so it will at least be stable in all useage scenarios. The algorithm will use the settimg to limit boosting, and voltage, to keep average max temps in that area.

but what happens when it reaches 80c? it will just cap the usage of voltage and ghz? it wont crash or something?

Oct 23, 2021
What sort of voltages did you see when on AUTO? What sort of a cooler are you working with? Ambient room air temps? Airflow inside your case(fan orientation and number of fans)? Might want to also mention the rest of the specs to give context to your build/thermals. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? PBO enabled or disabled?
Hey thanks for trying to help with the main problem, I already have an idea on what it is so I was just looking for temp solution
I dont know how to check the voltages on auto, I did see on the motherboard it said 1.08 but i guess it changes with how much I use hte CPU

airflow inside my case is decent, I just added 2 new 140mm fans to the front, was 55c when idle before I added, now its 38c when idle (and my ambient air temps is around 25-30c)

PBO enabled or disabled? I reallydont know what is PBO but ill check itout, what do you recommend anyways?
here are my specs:
CPU: amd ryzen 5 5600x am4 tray
Motherboard: x570 aorus elite
Ram: corsair ddr 4 32g (16gb 2x)
SSD/HDD: samsung ssd 980 1tb
GPU: nvidia geforce rtx 3080
PSU: 850w fully modular gold corsair psu
Chassis: corsair 4000d airflow tg case

1.)enter BIOS
2.) find Core Voltage(it can be also named Vcore,VDCCR CPU Voltage..) and change from "AUTO" to 1.2V.
3.) set your CPU Clock Speed from "AUTO" to 4.5GHz (BIOS can offer you some speeds which appear like 45,45.25 etc.)
4.) Don't forget to save changes and then exit BIOS

I only changed my vcore to 1.2v and it kind of fixed the problem, now my cpu is around 60c-70c when gaming instead of 85c~
I realise it can make my PC crash cause 1.2v will probably not be enough .
Just wanted to ask your for your opinions if having low voltage for cpu not gonna dmg it somehow
I don't believe 1.2V is enough for a fixed clock speed of 4.5GHz. Especially when this is close to the default light load boost limit. So I'm not surprised you have crashes. You can either increase the voltage or decrease the clock speed. Or you can use the PBO curve optimizer.

As for having low voltage, no, it doesn't damage the CPU. As long as the temperatures aren't going through the roof, it's fine.

I've set a limit of 80C on my 3700X. The only obvious effect I see is it simply never goes over 80C except for occasional and brief spikes. Obviously it's limiting clocks and along with that I'm sure it's also not raising voltage as high since it's not needed.

But it only does that when average die temps are around the 80c limit. Light bursty work loads, as with gaming, aren't affected since average temps never rise that high. But a really heavy all-core AVX workload...like Prime95...will take a few seconds longer through each factoring. That's only to be expected since it can't hold as high a clock while keeping temp around 80C.

With the limit removed it pushes to the upper 80's. That's still perfectly safe since Tjmax is 95C so limiting it to 80C is purely arbitrary. I'm not sure it accomplishes anything, especially since I it only has effect when running P95, a power virus only run as a test. Mainly it's a safety limit on the chance my AIO pump should fail in service.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 23, 2021

But it only does that when average die temps are around the 80c limit. Light bursty work loads, as with gaming, aren't affected since average temps never rise that high. But a really heavy all-core AVX workload...like Prime95...will take a few seconds longer through each factoring. That's only to be expected since it can't hold as high a clock while keeping temp around 80C.

With the limit removed it pushes to the upper 80's. That's still perfectly safe since Tjmax is 95C so limiting it to 80C is purely arbitrary. I'm not sure it accomplishes anything, especially since I it only has effect when running P95, a power virus only run as a test. Mainly it's a safety limit on the chance my AIO pump should fail in service.

I see thanks alot, is it even safe running my cpu on 80cel 70% of the day? wouldnt it die faster or something?

Oct 23, 2021
I don't believe 1.2V is enough for a fixed clock speed of 4.5GHz. Especially when this is close to the default light load boost limit. So I'm not surprised you have crashes. You can either increase the voltage or decrease the clock speed. Or you can use the PBO curve optimizer.

As for having low voltage, no, it doesn't damage the CPU. As long as the temperatures aren't going through the roof, it's fine.
makes sense, I didnt cahnge my clock its still on 3.7 so I didnt get any crashes, jsut assumed ill get

I see thanks alot, is it even safe running my cpu on 80cel 70% of the day? wouldnt it die faster or something?
Because temperature is one factor in electron migration, possibly the most important, the simple answer to that is 'yes, it will die sooner'. But that's highly misleading as there are a lot of engineers, physicists and scientists working at AMD and TSMC who've studied the problem in depth and determined that 95C is a safe operating limit for this 7nm process. What they are saying is when operated within their established limits in normal useage it will have a long service life, probably 20 years or more. So operating with an 80C limit on the same useage it may very well extend the life to 25years.

But so what. If you're still keen on this processor and system in 5 years you're the exception. If still using it regularly in 10 years you're the rare one indeed. 20 years is simply outlandish as it will doubtless be a curiosity, brought out at parties to amaze your more sophisticated friends and then put away carefully.

Reactions: Ser4ph4 and dor9101