Question Tried to add an additional 32gb of RAM to my system...PC turns on but no display

Mar 12, 2023
I already have 32gb of RAM in slots A2 and B2, and I want to add 32gb (2 Crucial 16gb sticks) to slots A1 and B1. The MB (ASRock B560M-C) should handle up to 64gb of RAM but it's not working. I've gone into the BIOS to see if there's a problem there, but I found nothing. Here are my specs:

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11600KF @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable) 2 Crucial 16gb sticks
Device ID 76271376-AD6F-4B64-A88E-9D44D0441AC4
Product ID 00342-20842-30423-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Drives: 3 SSD drives with one external drive connected by USB

I must be doing something wrong with the install of the new RAM. Any thoughts or ideas?

Reactions: ah.clem
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios if your motherboard permits such settings.

When done, to test for stability,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Mar 12, 2023
Both kits operate independently correct? Just not together?

My original two sticks were bought as a kit and replaced the two sticks of 8gb each. They operate with no difficulties. So, I bought a second kit of two sticks from the same manufacturer and installed them in the remaining two slots (A1 and B1). The PC turns on but nothing gets to the monitor....no display. All four sticks from Crucial have the exact same specs, but when all four are installed in the PC nothing happens.

Mar 12, 2023
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios if your motherboard permits such settings.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

Thanks. I'll run the test tomorrow after work.

Mar 12, 2023

Cannot run the memtest86 with all four 16gb sticks because the pc turns on but I'm getting nothing to the monitor. The test runs fine with two 16gb sticks in A2 and B2.

Okay, to answer your other questions/concerns, my two sticks of Crucial 16gb were bought as a kit and replaced the two original two sticks of 8gb each in slots A2 and B2. They operate with no difficulties. So, I bought a second kit of two sticks of 16gb from the same manufacturer and installed them in the remaining two slots (A1 and B1). The PC turns on but nothing gets to the monitor....no display. All four sticks from Crucial have the exact same specs, but when all four are installed in the PC nothing happens. I know the new sticks work fine in A2 and B2 because I tested them individually, but nothing in slots A1 and B1.

I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to carefully clean all four of the ram slots and also cleaned the contact edges of the ram sticks. Inserted all four of the ram sticks in the slots and again the pc started up but no display. I then inserted only two of the ram sticks in A2 and B2 and everything started fine to include a picture to the monitor.

Do I need to go into the UEFI and go back to the BIOS original settings?