[SOLVED] Tried to install a new HDD, computer randomly disconnects all peripherals

fishingfan.david

Prominent
Jan 13, 2019
Hiya! So, I recently bought a new HDD and figured it was time to expand on my desktop. I installed the HDD and saw that on my other driver there was an extra slot on the PSU cord. Got everything all hooked up and went to boot up the pc, however when i was installing the new HDD i managed to disconnect the cases power button power cable from the motherboard. Got that hooked back up, booted up the pc, all was good; until last night. Now, after booting up the pc, after about 5 minutes or so, all peripherals disconnect. Keyboard, mouse, monitor, all usbs, however the desktop keeps running. I end up having to hard shutoff the desktop and boot it back up, only for it to happen again. I checked through the case, all the wires seem to be hooked in and i made sure to give them all a good push to be sure. I also tried disconnecting the new HDD and the problem is still occurring. I tried a bunch of google options, one was to restore defaults to the power plan, however that didn’t help either. It does seem like the computer is going into hibernation for some reason, but the current power plan doesn’t have it do that for about an hour. I’m currently running a homebuilt windows 10 desktop. Any suggestions?

Solution
If the hardware model topology for a mainboard haven't changed for the last 20 years or so - then I'll say the common factor is the chipset south bridge (I think it's called). If so, then the mobo is defect and unrepairable.

Or it's simply a bad power connector that happens to be the one distributing powers to those devices.

Or you may be lucky, if it turns out that it's just the cmos battery being empty and must be replaced.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include all hardware specs and OS.

Especially PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Can you explain more about " I installed the HDD and saw that on my other driver there was an extra slot on the PSU cord." or provide a photo?

fishingfan.david

Prominent
Jan 13, 2019
GPU: AMD Radeon rx 580
MOBO: MSI Tomahawk b350
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
CPU cooler: hyper 212 evo
Psu: Corsair CX 650M, 650 watt, about 2 years old, condition is good, only ever used in this computer.

With the cord i just attached a 2nd hard drive to the psu with a wire that was already attached to another hard drive. There was 2 power connectors on one wire so I hooked both hard drives up with one wire.

If the hardware model topology for a mainboard haven't changed for the last 20 years or so - then I'll say the common factor is the chipset south bridge (I think it's called). If so, then the mobo is defect and unrepairable.

Or it's simply a bad power connector that happens to be the one distributing powers to those devices.

Or you may be lucky, if it turns out that it's just the cmos battery being empty and must be replaced.

Solution