Question Tried to replace CPU, now cant even boot up PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ChangedNamedCz

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Hi everybody, well I wanted to upgrade my CPU, but stupid me, didnt check what socket cpu fits in. It also came without fan, so i thought maybe amd fan will work on intel cpu. The socket is am3, and the intel cpu didnt fit in, so i gave up and wanted install back the old amd cpu. But now i cant even screw back in the fan, as the screws are now suddenly too small to hold onto motherboard. So i tried to just kinda hold the fan in place and turn pc back on. Fans, everything was working, but the pc doesnt boot up anymore, the graphics card flashing light on and off, and the fan on cpu goes extremely loud. I hope i didnt damage the pins or socket, because i was after while getting kinda aggressive. But when i touch the cpu, it was hot, so i guess i put it into socket properly, any ideas how to fix it? Also seems like i will have to save some money to buy good cpu that will work with am3 socket, or buy completely new motherboard, but whatever, if i could atleast get it to work now.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Look, you can try to clean the socket by blowing some air on it. You should definitely have cleaned the area around the socket before your started trying to fit anything into it. Don't use anything other than air to try to clean it.

It sounds like you were in a really hurry when you tried this. It sounds like you are using the wrong screws or have forgot to fit the mounting backplate back in, when you say the "screws don't fit into the motherboard anymore".

Clean and try again. You can try but there is a good chance something went wrong. I don't see any broken pins in the picture though.

ChangedNamedCz

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Look, you can try to clean the socket by blowing some air on it. You should definitely have cleaned the area around the socket before your started trying to fit anything into it. Don't use anything other than air to try to clean it.

It sounds like you were in a really hurry when you tried this. It sounds like you are using the wrong screws or have forgot to fit the mounting backplate back in, when you say the "screws don't fit into the motherboard anymore".

Clean and try again. You can try but there is a good chance something went wrong. I don't see any broken pins in the picture though.
There is one little wrong pin on cpu, just a bad photo. With that cpu fan i meant, screws dont screw into motherboard anymore, so fan doesnt hold on to it. I will try to properly clean the socket, check for damage, if thats the case, i will let know here.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is one little wrong pin on cpu, just a bad photo. With that cpu fan i meant, screws dont screw into motherboard anymore, so fan doesnt hold on to it. I will try to properly clean the socket, check for damage, if thats the case, i will let know here.

Bent Pins on AM3 processors are a common cause of issues. If you're going to try this again make sure that pin is 100% perfectly straight and aligned with the other pins. It also LOOKS like there is some dirt or broken pins in the socket, though with nothing seemingly missing from your CPU its probably dirt. Agree with above, clean the heck out of it. Check the backing plate, there is no reason it should not work unless you broke or stripped the mounting holes.

ChangedNamedCz

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Guys, I fixed it. Maybe it was the dust or something, but it was just ..... me who couldnt put the cpu back in correctly. Well, atleast i was about three days without computer, not so bad. XD Anyways, if i will want to upgrade my cpu, that fits into am3 socket, is it from the same Phenom series? I just need slightly better cpu, that wpuld have higher sse set instructions, so i could finally play those <Mod Edit> games.

if i will want to upgrade my cpu, that fits into am3 socket, is it from the same Phenom series? I just need slightly better cpu, that wpuld have higher sse set instructions, so i could finally play those <Mod Edit> games.
There are no cpu options with more cores.
There are some options with slightly higher clock speed. But the difference is insignificant <10%. Not worth it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Guys, I fixed it. Maybe it was the dust or something, but it was just ..... me who couldnt put the cpu back in correctly. Well, atleast i was about three days without computer, not so bad. XD Anyways, if i will want to upgrade my cpu, that fits into am3 socket, is it from the same Phenom series? I just need slightly better cpu, that wpuld have higher sse set instructions, so i could finally play those <Mod Edit> games.

The only better CPU for that board is the Phenom II X6 1100T, A CPU thats nearly 14 years old, and was long in the tooth in 2017 when I replaced mine. Considering you have a 1090T which is only slightly slower, it's not worth the replacement. Even the cheapest Ryzen or Intel is eons better. Save up for a new CPU/motherboard/ram.

ChangedNamedCz

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
The only better CPU for that board is the Phenom II X6 1100T, A CPU thats nearly 14 years old, and was long in the tooth in 2017 when I replaced mine. Considering you have a 1090T which is only slightly slower, it's not worth the replacement. Even the cheapest Ryzen or Intel is eons better. Save up for a new CPU/motherboard/ram.
Damn, I knew it was old, but 14 years old CPU? Wow, I'm surprised its still even functioning (somehow). Do you have any personal recommendations on motherboards that also could possibly be working with I5-3470? (standard ATX size) And If I would be to buy a new motherboard, does it consume more power? Since my PSU is something that hasn't been upgraded ever since. RAM shouldn't be problem, I got 16 gb of RAM and it wasn't cheapest.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Damn, I knew it was old, but 14 years old CPU? Wow, I'm surprised its still even functioning (somehow). Do you have any personal recommendations on motherboards that also could possibly be working with I5-3470? (standard ATX size) And If I would be to buy a new motherboard, does it consume more power? Since my PSU is something that hasn't been upgraded ever since. RAM shouldn't be problem, I got 16 gb of RAM and it wasn't cheapest.

The i5-3470 is not a big bump over what you have, and you're looking at used motherboards for a 10 year old processor. If everything you have works, sell it on eBay and upgrade to something more modern. Your ram will not work with anything new, that needs to be replaced as well.

An AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16gb of DDR4 3200mhz and the compatible board would be lightyears ahead of what you're working with, and has built in GPU that would likely crush whatever GPU you have as well. If that ends up to much maybe you can find a Ryzen 5 3400G or Ryzen 3 3200G for less that would still crush your setup.