Question Trouble assigning drive letter

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I just installed a new 2TB internal SSD and successfully cloned my old 512 GB SSD to it. I hit a snag, however, when trying to assign a drive letter to the new drive...initially it was automatically assigned the letter "G", which is cool because it'll be the drive that all my games are stored on. Here's the snag: when I try to allocate the rest of the 1.5TB of storage space (in Disk Management) it won't let me select (G) as the drive letter...it gives me all the available letters except for the one it has been assigned - (G). So, if I reassign the the new drive as (D) then "G" becomes available, but "D" is not! :D

How do I fix/bypass this stupid little annoyance?

Edit: I found the 'expansion wizard'...this allowed me to expand the 500 GB partition into the rest of the SSD. So, I fixed the problem and now have a (G) drive that is the full 2 TBs.

Last edited:

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Assigned letters must be unique! You can assign each letter once for a particular drive!!
I'm trying to allocate the unrecognized portion of my 2 TB SSD (1.5 TB) and the Disk Manager asks me to assign a letter to the UNALLOCATED portion of my SSD...if the drive letter is "D" then it won't let me assign the letter "D" to the unallocated space in my SSD.

Reactions: mkaafy

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
I faced the same thing when assigning and re-assigning drive letters. When I wanted to assign "D" to ThingX and "D" was already in use by ThingY, what I first did was give any ol' available drive letter to ThingY - freeing up "D". Second, gave freed-up D to ThingX. My personal choices: "C" went to Windows OS partition [not the System Reserved partition], "D" went to my data partition, "I" went to laptop's internal CD/DVD player. I even gave my two dedicated backup ext USB HDDs "Y" and "Z" respectively. :)

Last edited:

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I faced the same thing when assigning and re-assigning drive letters. When I wanted to assign D to ThingX and D is already in use by ThingY, what I did was first give any ol' letter to ThingY - freeing up D. Second, give freed-up D to ThingX.
I tried that and it won't work the way I want it to work. As it is right now my new SSD has been automatically partitioned. When I cloned my 500 GB SSD to the new one it created a partition labeled drive (G)...the rest of the SSD (1.5TB) was unallocated. The Disk Manager will not allow me to unpartition the drive so that the entire SSD can be labeled (G). How do I eliminate that arbitrary partition so that the entire SSD can be labeled as the (G) drive?