Question Trouble forwarding port

Jan 3, 2022
Hallo, everyone! I wish you all a Happy New Year!

I did read similar threads here and I tried dozens of different step-by-step tutorials on-line. I wouldn't post this otherwise.

Thing is, solutions for this problem are very specific. One letter different in the model of the modem, and it's no good.

I also read warning on what not to post, so I'll give the generals since all else may be sensitive. I'll wait for you, experts, to tell me what is safe to give. That's another problem since to solve port forwarding, you use nothing BUT personal data.

I use:
Device name Lenovo IdeaPad L340
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8145U CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

I use it with:
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎3/‎29/‎2021
OS build 19042.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

I want to forward a port for qbittorrent using my wireless:

Name [00000002] Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter
Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
Product Type Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0042&SUBSYS_090117AA&REV_31\4&22264164&0&00E8
Last Reset 1/4/2022 00:08
Index 2
Service Name
IP Address
IP Subnet
Default IP Gateway
DHCP Enabled No
DHCP Server Not Available
DHCP Lease Expires Not Available
DHCP Lease Obtained Not Available
MAC Address ‪
Memory Address 0xA1000000-0xA11FFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967284
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\QCAMAIN10X64.SYS (12.0.0.948, 2.32 MB (2,432,592 bytes), 5/21/2020 19:53)

Among others, I followed steps on PortForward site specifically for the modem I own:
Ubee EVW32C-0S
Hardware Version 3.34.1
Firmaware Version 2.8.1009-SIP

I checked and double-checked, I did ALL the steps needed:
I set up a static IP (some difficulties here since there was no access message for DHCP and I believe this service needs to be turned off, I did so in msconfig startup services and I'm still connected to the net as I write this)
I checked all the boxes in qbittorrent and picked an address far beyond the pool of address
I entered all this data into a modem

My port is stubbornly closed although no single step is missing. I'm guessing this must be some block somewhere and I'm suspecting win10 Home

Of course, no other user here uses the exact same modem, OS, wireless and software he is trying to forward port for in combination and I can't use solved cases.

I kindly ask for help!

I feel like I'm missing something. Perhaps something obvious to you. Long time ago I did this process on win7, but something is obviously different.

The most common reason we see people post similar port forwarding issues is they do not have a public IP.

So first check that the IP you see in your router assigned to the wan port. Where exactly this is varies but almost all router will show you the IP the ISP assigned to your router wan port. Compare this with a site like whatsmyip.
If these IP addresses are different you do not have a public IP and you will never be able to port forward.

If this is fine then likely it is some configuration issue in the port forward rules, many routers are very confusing. Try a DMZ option which forwards all ports to a internal IP. This tends to be a very simple configuration.

If this works then it a mater of figuring out what you did wrong in the port forward rules.

If it still does not work you start to suspect that end device does not actually have a program active on that port or something like a firewall on the end device is blocking the traffic.

Reactions: Luxman78
Jan 3, 2022
The most common reason we see people post similar port forwarding issues is they do not have a public IP.

So first check that the IP you see in your router assigned to the wan port. Where exactly this is varies but almost all router will show you the IP the ISP assigned to your router wan port. Compare this with a site like whatsmyip.
If these IP addresses are different you do not have a public IP and you will never be able to port forward.

If this is fine then likely it is some configuration issue in the port forward rules, many routers are very confusing. Try a DMZ option which forwards all ports to a internal IP. This tends to be a very simple configuration.

If this works then it a mater of figuring out what you did wrong in the port forward rules.

If it still does not work you start to suspect that end device does not actually have a program active on that port or something like a firewall on the end device is blocking the traffic.
Well, thank you very much for your time and for a swift response. I'll try to investigate. I must say, the fact that the tutorial site PortForward didn't say what info should I put into the empy box External IP, although they did have some numbers in it in the screenshots (I didn't want to use those not to mess up), did caught my eye.

I'll have to do some research to implement your advice since I don't know what a wan port is, I'll try to find it.

For now, I can tell you that all those annoying VPN ads always list the same address when they want to say they see me. Is what they're seeing my public IP?

If I look under WAN in my modem setup, under IPv4 and THIS is different from what a site like "whatsmyip" lists, would that be the test you were recommending?

Also, is it possible to make this assumption: since my ISP offers a service of providing a static IP, I do have a public IP?

Jan 3, 2022
But how can I get the addresses I need to compare? Will ipconfig/all give me the info I need to compare?

I get that one number I can see on whatsmyip, where can I see the other one?

Jan 3, 2022
Can't say for sure every router is different. It is not something on your PC.

Log into the router and look around is all I can say. Most have some overall status page that might show it. Some have a WAN page that shows it.
Yes, thank you, I understand that. What is not clear to me and I apologize for my poor knowledge, if I found wan in modem, what is the number of interest for me and what am I comparing it to? i found this:

Is what I'm looking for circled in red and am I comparing it to what I find in whatsmyip?

Jan 3, 2022
That is likely what we are looking for.

That IP needs to be the same as the one you see in whatsmyip. If they are different then the IP on your wan port is likely a private not a public IP.
Thank you! It seems you're right. Once you told me about the term "public IP" I searched the forum of my ISP. A lot of answers there saying that by default users don't have a public IP, but can get one if they pay. I'm starting to suspect that this is business model - prevent DIY so you can charge.

Of course, I now realize that if I knew about the need for public IP, there would be no need to ask here. But I really didn't know, I thought that the option to pay was for those who can't find how to DIY.

So you did help me even if my work only just begun. I'll see if the price is not silly high, I'll have it done.

Thank you all and especially bill001g!

It is not even the ISP being greedy. The vast majority of internet users use only very simple stuff, watch video, surf the web, play online games. Only a tiny number run things that require them to act as a server and need a public IP.

IP addresses have been in short supply for many years so why waste them and give them to people that will never actually fully use them.

That said many ISP still do give all their customers public IP. It is the smaller ISP that did not get large pools of IPs many years ago or ISP based on mobile broadband where there is even less need for public IP addresses that do not give out public IP.

Reactions: Luxman78
Jan 3, 2022
It is not even the ISP being greedy. The vast majority of internet users use only very simple stuff, watch video, surf the web, play online games. Only a tiny number run things that require them to act as a server and need a public IP.

IP addresses have been in short supply for many years so why waste them and give them to people that will never actually fully use them.

That said many ISP still do give all their customers public IP. It is the smaller ISP that did not get large pools of IPs many years ago or ISP based on mobile broadband where there is even less need for public IP addresses that do not give out public IP.
Interesting point. Didn't know there was such a thing as shortage. I'm calling my ISP today and I'll let you know at least to give this some sort of an ending.

LATER EDIT: I must say it seems to be greed after all. My monthly Internet bill is 25$, but if I want a static IP set up, it's a further 35$ per month (yes, I asked that again, it's per month - every month an additional higher sum than the service it self)

Just one other info, if you know, how come I can use Internet with my DHCP turned off? I should probably turn than on again, right?

Last edited: