[SOLVED] Trouble Installing Windows 7

Dec 27, 2019
I used to run windows 7 on my pc with and old
motherboard and ram that I do not use anymore.
I got new RAM, a new motherboard and a new CPU. Over the past few days, I’ve been trying to re-install windows 7 onto my pc with little to no success. I have a USB with Windows (not sure which version) 7 64 bit and a disk with Windows 7 Ultimate on it. However, when booting either the CD or USB drive by itself, my keyboard and mouse shut off after leaving BIOS and booting windows. I have tried burning a Utility driver download from the ASUS website (motherboard is Asus B350 Prime Plus) onto a disk and running it with the USB with no results. The one time my keyboard and mouse work is when I place the W10 Support DVD in my optical drive and boot from the W7 USB. This sends me to an install where it hangs at 100% on Expanding files, then gives me an error cancelling the installation and reading: “Windows could not apply the configuration set. The WINDOWS folder cannot be found.”. All I need is either a solution to that problem or the problem of a simple mouse and keyboard turning off after BIOS. I have tried using single usb port mouse and keyboards to omit a problem with incompatible drivers, but the same problem persists.

Dec 27, 2019
Integrate USB drivers into windows 7 installation first.
Use Gigabyte windows USB installation tool (select version for AMD series boards)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?p=1&kw=windows

Alternatively you could install from sata connected DVD drive using PS/2 connected mouse/keyboard.
Will the Gigabyte USB installation tool work since I have an ASUS motherboard?
Also, I got windows 7 installation to work booted from a USB with the ASUS Windows 10 Support DVD in my optical drive, however the install stops after "Expanding windows files" when it says that the WINDOWS folder could not be found. I believe it is trying to read my disk drive when expanding the files during installation, however replacing the Support Disk with a regular windows 7 install disk does not solve the problem.

Will the Gigabyte USB installation tool work since I have an ASUS motherboard?
Yes.
Also, I got windows 7 installation to work booted from a USB with the ASUS Windows 10 Support DVD in my optical drive, however replacing the Support Disk with a regular windows 7 install disk does not solve the problem.
Without USB drivers integrated this will not work. SATA connected DVD drive is necessary.