Question Trouble With Ethernet ports in apartment

Craftedcloud

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2015
Hello, I have come across an issue in which only one of the two Ethernet ports in my apartment are functioning. I have attached photos of both ports as well as the hub in my entryway closet. I wish I wire my PC to my internet for wireless VR content and have had many bitrate issues. If you know how to fix what I've got going on please let me know!

Pictures :

It is all going to depends on where your ethernet cables are going.

So it all depends on what that box is that has the coax cable going to it. I have not seen a verizon install in a while but generally they bring a fiber into the building and terminate on what they call a ONT. They then run a coax cable between that box and a router.

What is strange is most times a router has wifi and has multiple data ports.

How is the second verizon box hooked up. Where does the other end of the cable go, I assume it somehow attaches to the first box you have a photo of. The second box could also be a router.

In any case the generic method internet is run is.

----ISP---modem---router---end devices. Some installs also have a switch between the router and the end devices if there are not enough ports.

So what you need to do is find a way so all your wall jacks hook to lan ports on the router or a switch that is connected to the lan port. In general a house that has in wall cabling runs all the cables back to one central room. You need a way to connect all the cables in this room to the router lan ports.

When the router is not in that room it makes it a lot harder.

I would try to draw a diagram of your house and where the wires all go. You can then try to figure out if maybe you need to move the router.

Reactions: Ralston18