Question Trouble with moving my windows install on a lenovo v50t gen 2 13-iob

Jun 23, 2024
Trouble with moving my windows install on a lenovo v50t gen 2 13-iob
Hi! Im attempting to move my windows 11 pro installation from a 2tb nvme onto a second drive in my lenovo v50t gen 2 11qe. I read that, since my pc was oem, all i would have to do is: remove the 2tb drive, make a windows usb, install it onto the second drive, select "i dont have a product key," and then my motherboard would automatically input one. Then i could proceed to add the 2tb drive back in and wipe it.

However, whenever i attempt to install windows onto it i receive a message saying that "setup was unable to locate an existing partition or select a new one."

I've tried converting the second drive to a gpt format, wiping the drive, mounting and unmounting it, almost every youtube tutorial i could find, using a different usb drive, and using a different secondary drive altogether.

I'm nervous to try third-party cloning software, since if it doesn't work i lose all my data on the 2tb drive including my prior windows install.

Is making a transfer just impossible due to it being a oem machine, or am i just missing something? Also, if transfer isn't possible, would i be able to install something like linux mint onto it instead?

Thanks!

The installer can't see the SATA controller on your Intel B560 chipset because it is too new, so when you see that message you are supposed to direct the installer to load the Intel SATA Preinstall driver on USB.

These are traditionally called F6 floppy drivers for historical reasons, and have always been needed for any newer disk controller than the Windows installer understands.