[SOLVED] Trouble with WoL ddns Hostname Updating

lyingriotman

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
I'm trying to setup TeamViewer so I can access my computer while I'm not currently on my local network. I've enabled Port Forwarding for UDP port 9 on both my modem and my router. My router is also compatible with No-IP so I've set it to update the hostname I'm using with my current public IP address.

The problem is that when it does update the address for the hostname it changes it not to my current public IP address, but to the local IP of the router on the network.

I checked around before making the post but it seems the wording of the problem kept bringing up normal how-to guides. Thanks for your time.

Solution
If you can make the ISP device a modem only which should be bridge mode it should work. How exactly you do this depends a lot on the device. DSL modem/routers tend to be much harder because you most times have to do stuff like run pppoe on the second router. Cable modem/routers almost all have modes that allow you to run them as bridges.

Then again some isp are jerks....att.... and they rig it so there is no way to remove their router from the path. DDNS is one of the ones you can't really fix in those cases. Almost everything else you can get to work with dmz or port forwarding.

I am surprised it has that feature. Be aware most pc will wake on invalid WoL packets. What you are sending is a packet to the actual mac...
You have 2 different problems. The DDNS is pretty straight forward if it is not setting the value to the WAN IP it must be a bug in the router firmware. There is almost nothing you can set in these configurations other than where the DDNS server is. Make very sure you actually have a public IP you should be able to see the IP in the wan setting on most routers. Otherwise I would try a firmware update.

The second problem is pretty much there is no such thing as Wake on "WAN". You are attempting to use a hack with the port forwarding and it has massive restrictions. The main one is that the ARP entry in the router that maps the internal IP to the mac address of the machine you want to wake will time out. When this times out the router will discard all data. I have yet to see a router not running third party firmware that you can set static ARP entries.

Your best option is to just use the low power options modern pc have. The difference in power used from a machine being in low power mode and one in WoL mode is very small.

If you insist on using WoL your best option is to get a router that you can remotely access and have it send the WoL packet for you. Since the router is actually on the lan it can send actual WoL packets rather than the hack packets you get when you port forward. Asus routers have this remote WoL feature.

You can also use things like raspberry pi that you leave active on your network and request it send the WoL packets. But again much power does this really save.

There are also power controllers that you can get that allow you to turn power on and off. You just set the PC to boot as soon as it gets power.

lyingriotman

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
You have 2 different problems. The DDNS is pretty straight forward if it is not setting the value to the WAN IP it must be a bug in the router firmware. There is almost nothing you can set in these configurations other than where the DDNS server is. Make very sure you actually have a public IP you should be able to see the IP in the wan setting on most routers. Otherwise I would try a firmware update.

The second problem is pretty much there is no such thing as Wake on "WAN". You are attempting to use a hack with the port forwarding and it has massive restrictions. The main one is that the ARP entry in the router that maps the internal IP to the mac address of the machine you want to wake will time out. When this times out the router will discard all data. I have yet to see a router not running third party firmware that you can set static ARP entries.

Your best option is to just use the low power options modern pc have. The difference in power used from a machine being in low power mode and one in WoL mode is very small.

If you insist on using WoL your best option is to get a router that you can remotely access and have it send the WoL packet for you. Since the router is actually on the lan it can send actual WoL packets rather than the hack packets you get when you port forward. Asus routers have this remote WoL feature.

You can also use things like raspberry pi that you leave active on your network and request it send the WoL packets. But again much power does this really save.

There are also power controllers that you can get that allow you to turn power on and off. You just set the PC to boot as soon as it gets power.
I thought the problem would have more to do with the router setup itself. My modem and router are on two different subnets. The modem is the one that recieves the WAN IP. It also assigns the router a network address of 192.168.0.10, which is the IP that is sent to the hostname.

I did enable IP passthrough on the modem since I have all the radios turned off, but I guess the router doesn't actually recieve a WAN IP? Would enabling bridge mode or transparent bridge mode on the modem fix this issue?

The Archer C7 does have an ARP Binding mode that I enabled along with a static IP to the target computer.

If you can make the ISP device a modem only which should be bridge mode it should work. How exactly you do this depends a lot on the device. DSL modem/routers tend to be much harder because you most times have to do stuff like run pppoe on the second router. Cable modem/routers almost all have modes that allow you to run them as bridges.

Then again some isp are jerks....att.... and they rig it so there is no way to remove their router from the path. DDNS is one of the ones you can't really fix in those cases. Almost everything else you can get to work with dmz or port forwarding.

I am surprised it has that feature. Be aware most pc will wake on invalid WoL packets. What you are sending is a packet to the actual mac address of the pc that in addition to the magic packet string also contains IP headers.

What the WoL standard actually requires is a packet sent to the BROADCAST mac address that contains the mac address of the machine to be woken.

Some pc bios are more tolerant than others. You might have to port map a dummy ip to the broadcast mac address rather than the actual mac of the pc.

Even when you get it perfect it at times does not work. Microsoft got involved and has its own proprietary sleep/wake stuff and sometime the machine is not shutdown in the proper mode.

Solution