Question Problem when XMP Profiles are enabled ?

Jun 18, 2024
Hi All,

I'm having trouble pushing my memory past 2400 MHz.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
RAM: TEAMGROUP-UD4-3000

The link above is a google drive folder showing my 'full' ram specs and current XMP config.
When ever I try and use XMP default profiles 1 or 2 my pc will power cycle multiple times and/or crash.
I've read that R52600 is capable of handling 2933 MHz -- not sure if the motherboard factors into this as well.
I've also tried increasing the ram voltage to 1.35 V, but didn't really notice much of a difference.
Help would be much appreciated. Trying to squeeze performance out of my friend and learn a thing or two.
Happy to provide any other computer information. Cheers!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just an FYI, I'm not going to look into that link since people need to provide their personal info. If you want us to see your specs, list them so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If you want to pass on screenshots, host them on a site like Imgur and then pass on the link to the images onto this thread.

Reactions: jamputer
Jun 18, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just an FYI, I'm not going to look into that link since people need to provide their personal info. If you want us to see your specs, list them so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If you want to pass on screenshots, host them on a site like Imgur and then pass on the link to the images onto this thread.
Thank you Sir, I converted the google drive link to an Imgur one.
Is noting all the other specs necessary as of this point?

Thank you Sir, I converted the google drive link to an Imgur one.
Is noting all the other specs necessary as of this point?

it helps diagnosing all the issues

however i can confirm 1 thing your using a msi motherboard b450 tomahawk

i used a MSI B450M MORTAR MAX mATX and has similar issues with team group ram msi boards at least from my experiance of fixing 5 of them have always had ram issues.

dial in 2666mhz see if it posts i think the max i got was like 2800 till boot loop hell.

Jun 18, 2024
it helps diagnosing all the issues

however i can confirm 1 thing your using a msi motherboard b450 tomahawk

i used a MSI B450M MORTAR MAX mATX and has similar issues with team group ram msi boards at least from my experiance of fixing 5 of them have always had ram issues.

dial in 2666mhz see if it posts i think the max i got was like 2800 till boot loop hell.
Right so you think its a msi tomahawk and team group combo issue. I just tried 2666 MHz will multiple bios recommended timings, but to no avail.
Could updating the bios version help? I updated it mid last year so probably not the issue.

Right so you think its a msi tomahawk and team group combo issue. I just tried 2666 MHz will multiple bios recommended timings, but to no avail.
Could updating the bios version help? I updated it mid last year so probably not the issue.

i wouldnt update the bios further cause you could remove the 2600 series from the motherboard chip. then the cpu wont work lol.

msi boards in general are overall bad with memory.

the 2600 chips themselves are memory sensitive.

Kingston
or crucial memory i find works best.

they have a memory support page for the 2000 series on there.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-MAX/support#mem

make sure sticks are also in slots 2 and 4

others have had this issue

i will say this as someone who's built many computers msi have always been riddled with memory support issues.

you could easily dump that cpu into another board and it probly would work out of the box.

make sure its 1.35v ( must be 1.35v)

18-18-18-38 at 2933mhz

19-19-19-39 at 2933mhz

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2024
Yeah so I changed the ram slots from 1 and 3 to 2 and 4,
Tried these configs:
"

18-18-18-38 at 2933mhz

19-19-19-39 at 2933mhz"

and still same fail booting and power cycling issues.

I also had a look on the msi memory support page for the b450 tomahawk (non-max) and RX-2X00,
and it seems there is T-FORCE (manufacturer samsung) XMP support from 2667 MHz to 3200 MHz based on the range of models.
I had a hard time tracking down my specific model because I only have cpu-z ram info and the serial numbers are long lost.
Have a feeling there's some deeper issue.
Would replacing the ram (since its probably the cheapest) be a viable option based on my current situation? Right now I can run games pretty fine 1080p high settings, but I'm just trying to squeeze a little bit more performance out. I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon.

Yeah so I changed the ram slots from 1 and 3 to 2 and 4,
Tried these configs:
"

18-18-18-38 at 2933mhz

19-19-19-39 at 2933mhz"

and still same fail booting and power cycling issues.

I also had a look on the msi memory support page for the b450 tomahawk (non-max) and RX-2X00,
and it seems there is T-FORCE (manufacturer samsung) XMP support from 2667 MHz to 3200 MHz based on the range of models.
I had a hard time tracking down my specific model because I only have cpu-z ram info and the serial numbers are long lost.
Have a feeling there's some deeper issue.
Would replacing the ram (since its probably the cheapest) be a viable option based on my current situation? Right now I can run games pretty fine 1080p high settings, but I'm just trying to squeeze a little bit more performance out. I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon.

I personally wouldn't you'll most likely run into the same issue . You could upgrade the CPU to a 5000 version CPU just remember to update bios before you put in 5000 chip

Then later you could jump to a b550 motherboard.

Jun 18, 2024
Ok, do you think the performance increase going from 2400 MHz memory to lets say 3200 MHz (in terms of 1080p gaming) at best case justifies spending >$100 as the cheapest 5000 series cpu seems to be the ryzen 5 5500.

I see myself wanting to hold on to what I have for at least 3-5 years.

Ok, do you think the performance increase going from 2400 MHz memory to lets say 3200 MHz (in terms of 1080p gaming) at best case justifies spending >$100 as the cheapest 5000 series cpu seems to be the ryzen 5 5500.

I see myself wanting to hold on to what I have for at least 3-5 years.

honestly best thing you could do is getting the cheapest upgrades i recomend for most people since i have been on the am4 platform

there are 3

zen 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X decent what im currently using performance is about what i expect it hands most games well and its where i say is a good option for gamers.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D is best for 1080p as you start increasing resolution 1440p is fine but your more gpu bound by 4k. its about between 10-20 frames diffrence because of the v cache on 1080p depending on game.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X this is best for people that like to steam while playing games.

you will see more of a bump going from 6- 8 cores.

keep in mind most games are programmed since ps5 and xbox have 8 cores

funny enough they use zen 2 which is a better cpu then the 2600

in my opinion

cheaper to upgrade to one of those cpus above for now

update the bios before you install any of the above.

also getting a b550 motherboard would be next port of call.
cause that opens you up to faster storage and pci gen 4

b450 only supports gen 3

my current set up

ryzen 5700x
4070 super
32gb
b550

and that does me 2k. and should for next 4 years

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2024
honestly best thing you could do is getting the cheapest upgrades i recomend for most people since i have been on the am4 platform

there are 3

zen 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X decent what im currently using performance is about what i expect it hands most games well and its where i say is a good option for gamers.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D is best for 1080p as you start increasing resolution its about between 10-20 frames diffrence because of the v cache.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X this is best for people that like to steam while playing games.

you will see more of a bump going from 6- 8 cores.

keep in mind most games are programmed since ps5 and xbox have 8 cores

funny enough they use zen 2 which is a better cpu then the 2600

in my opinion

cheaper to upgrade to one of those cpus above for now

update the bios before you install any of the above.

also getting a b550 motherboard would be next port of call.
cause that opens you up to faster storage and pci gen 4

b450 only supports gen 3

my current set up

ryzen 5700x
4070 super
32gb
b550

and that does me 2k. and should for next 4 years
Thank you for the food for thought Sir. You've been very helpful. I'll have to have a deeper dive when I get the chance.

Thank you for the food for thought Sir. You've been very helpful. I'll have to have a deeper dive when I get the chance.
No problem also going from 2400 to 3200 improves one percent lows and frame rate by like 7-10 frames depending on title 3200 is the sweet spot going higher yeilds very little.

Cost wise ddr4 is cheap and getting a kit of 32gb at 3200 at 16 latency is best if budget allows

Do it in 4 sticks of 8gb cause that squeezes like 5 frames more.

I recommend 32gb because games like hogwarts legacy for example stutter to hell without it.