Question Troubleshooting a new cpu

Apr 29, 2019
Hello,

I've recently upgraded from a i5 4440 to a i7 5775c. After switching CPUs, I noticed that my computer would turn on but the bios would t load.

I searched through other threads, and after going through them, I've updated my bios to the latest, I've tried to do a cmos reset, Ive also tried removing the cmos battery and putting it back in, all while the power supply was plugged off.

I've checked compatibility with this motherboard, which is a z97-e Asus, and it should not have compatibility issues.

I've also tried putting my old cpu back, and it works fine. After all of that, it still doesn't boot up my bios. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
See problem is, you have mentioned that you have an asus motherboard, i just upgraded my cpu to a new cpu from i5 4460 to i5 4690k and i had to update my bios, i updated to the latest which made my pc turn on 2 secs and off then loop, what solved my issue is, took the rams out, rubbed the pins with alcohol then put them back in, and took the CPU out cleaned it applied new thermal paste put it back together and don't tight it down too much. and also, roll back the bios update from the latest to a little bit older version which fixed the issue for me and i overclocked my cpu to 4.2GHZ, so i don't really know if it will help you fix your issue but we have different motherboards mine is asus b85m-e.

Apr 29, 2019
I'm not sure if rolling back the bios would help. I was able to swap back to my i5 cpu and it worked fine. But I'll try it.

I've done the swap 3 times now, and my computer always booted up fine with my i5, but never with my i7, so I don't think it is too tight.