Question Troubleshooting - computer is dead

Mr.CJ

Commendable
Jan 27, 2022
I bought a computer second hand at it was sent by mail, and yes, that was probably a bad idea, no need to comment that 😂 sender did not dismount anything and it was sent as is, in one piece.

It seemed to be OK packing and I cannot see any visible damages. When I plug it in, there is no reactions. No LED on motherboard, gpu or anywhere else. I get the feeling it might be the psu, but would not expect the psu to be the component to go. I am also sceptical that the sender had some bubble wrap inside the computer, for reasons unknown. The build is:

Ryzen 7600
Msi 650 gaming wifi
16gb ram
Rx 7600
550w psu
Phantex g360 case

I have an extra psu, is it safe to connect it for testing, or can I risk it being damaged? Can I, as an example, connect it only to the gpu and see if the led lights up?
Also, for some reason, the room does not have grounded outlets, is it possible that the psu won't start because ground is missing?

Any and all tips greatly appreciated
Best regards,
CJ

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU make and model (or part number) is?

Also, for some reason, the room does not have grounded outlets, is it possible that the psu won't start because ground is missing?
PSU doesn't need ground for it to operate. But it would be safer with ground.

I have an extra psu, is it safe to connect it for testing, or can I risk it being damaged?
2nd PSU make and model (or part number) is?

Also, as long as you switch out the power cables and don't reuse them, there wouldn't be an issue.

Can I, as an example, connect it only to the gpu and see if the led lights up?
Well, you can but GPU LEDs lighting up doesn't tell that GPU works at all.

It's like you turning on the car's ignition and once you see lights light up, but without ever cranking the engine and turning the engine on - you instantly assume the car drives fine.

but would not expect the psu to be the component to go
Depends on what PSU it is. Hence why i asked my initial question.

Also, do you think that PSU is invulnerable? Never dying? Lasting til the end of time + then some? :unsure:

Reactions: CountMike