[Troubleshooting] Fans spin, no POST, no beeps, no monitor output... hoping this HTPC might be working for my parents for Chri

frenris

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
More details:

One light on on the front which is power light. Unsure if other lights should be on / if they are hooked up properly.

Processor is AMD A10 5800K, part # AD580KWOHJBOX

Mobo is fm2-a55m-e33 by MSI

Case is XON-720p_bk by XION

Taking the RAM out I get 3 beeps.

There's no stand-offs / they are built into the case (metal around screw hole rises up on these bridge thingies -- which seems kind of sketch). I have half a mind to go to a store and try to buy some standoffs to reduce risk of shorting.

Wondering about mobo bios processor compatibility I checked here: http://www.userdrivers.com/guide/msi/richland-bios-update-procedure.htm which seems to suggest that the mobo should not need a bios flash to work with my processor.

What more can I do? If the mobo or CPU is faulty I'll have to replace them, but I'm unsure if that's the issue at this point-- and if it's one of them, which one it is.

Solution
the mobo first checks itself before checking anything else.

i suggested to remove the power and reset switches, because many a times the power or the reset button might be damaged. (also causes problems like this)

what power cycling does is that, many a times the mobo might not be able to read the processor properly. this ensures that the mobo properly finds and reads the processor.
your mobo is fine (ram beeps prove that)

if your mobo bios is version a5 or below...your processor will not be supported unless you update the bios (with a trinity apu of course)

remove the mobo from the case>keep the processor and ram plugged in>plug in the psu and jack up the monitor>now power your pc on by short circuiting the power switch header (consult user manual for the header)>see if that works or not.

if that fails....just remove the cpu from the socket (cpu only)>power the system on just for a couple of seconds>put the processor back in again>power it on>see if that helps

frenris

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply.

Could the mobo be broken and able to detect faulty RAM or does the mobo check itself thoroughly first before doing CPU things?

if your mobo bios is version a5 or below...your processor will not be supported unless you update the bios (with a trinity apu of course)

Forgot a not in my original message, editted it. Am using trinity, mobo website suggests no update needed.

remove the mobo from the case>keep the processor and ram plugged in>plug in the psu and jack up the monitor>now power your pc on by short circuiting the power switch header (consult user manual for the header)>see if that works or not.

Thanks for the advice. Took the mobo out, tried to run it while it was sitting on a plastic pencil case. Was plugged into case still, used power button to turn on, same issue.

if that fails....just remove the cpu from the socket (cpu only)>power the system on just for a couple of seconds>put the processor back in again>power it on>see if that helps

What would the power cycling do? I've already tried reseating the CPU.

Thanks again.

the mobo first checks itself before checking anything else.

i suggested to remove the power and reset switches, because many a times the power or the reset button might be damaged. (also causes problems like this)

what power cycling does is that, many a times the mobo might not be able to read the processor properly. this ensures that the mobo properly finds and reads the processor.

Solution

frenris

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
AHA! I had the monitor set to DVI input when my build was connected by VGA. Ugh need to just change the source using the monitor options.

A really dumb problem to have.