Roberto_23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2016
Hi everyone, I am pretty new on the forum.
English is not my native language, so please forgive me for any errors I may commit.

Summary:
I built a pc two years ago, and ever since I built it from time to time I get blue screens or the pc freezes and/or reboots.
I have been trying to troubleshoot the error myself, by running memory tests, stressing CPU and GPU and I always end up with successful results.
I noticed that sometimes, my GPU wasn't turning on (had to switch the cable to mobo/cpu graphics) so I thought it could have been a PSU or GPU issue.
I am using an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 (80+ TITANIUM ,1000W) as PSU, which should have been more than enough to run the NVidia GTX 1060 graphic card I was using at that time.
Considering I was planning to upgrade to a 20XX card, I seized the opportunity and bought a 2080 TI.
I wanted some cool CPU and GPU custom cooling, so I asked a local gaming rig specialized shop in my city to get this done for me.
In order to get it done they had to completely disassemble and re-assemble the pc so I'd exclude some "cable configuration" errors I could have made when building it myself. And I'd exclude the GPU as well considering this was brand new.
They (the rig shop) also perfomed some performance tests which did not caught these errors I am getting, unfortunately.

Let's get into details:
I mostly do gaming with this pc, and I do play many different games, from less demanding ones to more demanding ones. Sometimes I am able to play high-demanding games for literally hours, streaming the game to my friends through "Discord" (a voice-chat app) without a single issue, and sometimes I get a freeze or a blue screen when playing indie games and other low-demanding games. Sometimes I even get these freezes/blue screen when watching Netflix.
I got different games library in different physical disks, and I end up experiencing crashes on all of them.

Sometimes, when I switch my active tab from a low-demanding one (like a notepad) to a more demanding one (like a game), my pc freezes for 10 seconds and then it may get back to normal or reboot.

I get different type of freezes, sometimes the screen freezes, but the audio still plays normally and I am able to move the mouse normally (but cannot switch tab or get out of the active frozen window), while sometimes the audio freezes too (resulting in terrible noises) and the mouse gets very slow and laggy or just freezes as well.

What did I do:
  • I performed some memory tests, using "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool" and "memtest86", which did not catch errors in my RAM.
  • I stressed my CPU and GPU with "prime95" for 2 hours and did not notice any freeze/reboot or abnormal behavior. If necessary I can run it for more hours. While performing the tests I checked the temperatures of my hardware and they looked fine.
  • I did multiple clean installation of windows 10 and installed the latest drivers for all of them (I hope) by myself or by using a driver installer tool like Driver Booster, so I'd exclude software related issues as well.
  • I reset the BIOS to default settings.
  • I run a "chkdsk /f" and "sfc /scannow" on my C: drive, and did not catch any error.
Things to know that may be useful:
  • I do play a mobile game on my pc using an emulator. I downloaded different ones and noticed some very major graphical glitches (which I do not experience on my laptop, which does not even have a GPU and uses Intel graphics) and one of those emulators prompted me that there was some issue with my GPU drivers (I made multiple clean installation of them as well, and even on different windows installation I still get this prompt).
  • I got RGB fans, and when I experience a freeze, RGB lights freeze as well.
  • I do play a game called Warframe, and when I freeze on that game, it shuts itself off for some sort of prevention and sends me to a page which states "Hardware failure detected", here's the page:

Conclusion:
I am able to provide some of the most recent dumps, which will only include the blue screens and not the much more frequent freezes, and I am willing to perform any test and provide any data that may be useful to the resolution.

SfUjM7I.png

Please help me troubleshoot what is causing my pc to reboot/freeze/blue screen randomly.

Thanks & Regards,
Roberto

Last edited:
  • I did multiple clean installation of windows 10 and installed the latest drivers for all of them (I hope) by myself or by using a driver installer tool like Driver Booster, so I'd exclude software related issues as well.
Do not use Driver Booster. It's known to cause problems by installing inappropriate drivers.
Install drivers from motherboard support site and geforce drivers.

Check your disks for file system corruption. Use chkdsk.
(ntfs.sys error in your screenshot may indicate file system corruption)

Roberto_23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2016
Do not use Driver Booster. It's known to cause problems by installing inappropriate drivers.
Install drivers from motherboard support site and geforce drivers.

Check your disks for file system corruption. Use chkdsk.
(ntfs.sys error in your screenshot may indicate file system corruption)

I tried Driver Booster as a "last resource" to avoid any "human" mistakes in installing drivers.

I run "chkdsk" and "sfc" to scan for errors on my C: drive, and they did not caught any.
Should I run it on my other disks as well?
My OS is running on C:, and some of the games I experience freezes on are also on C:.

Roberto_23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2016
Please download and run https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/ , a log collector tool that not only collects dump files but other log files as well that may be needed to better look into the crashes. Once the tool is finished it will have created a zip file, upload this zip file to onedrive, google drive or a similar site you prefer and post a share link.

I downloaded and run the tool, here''s the output:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XIJ1GPxlchlQMYYaPJOKv2AJV1o4mLKO/view?usp=sharing

I probably messed up with the permissions, let me know if you can download it.

You don't happen to remember if the previous GPU was seated in the same slot as the current GPU? My first suggestion would be to try the GPU in a different slot.

Unfortunately, the crashes of the 0x10E are difficult to identify why they occurred. There is no documentation on the subtype of the bugcheck.

Roberto_23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2016
You don't happen to remember if the previous GPU was seated in the same slot as the current GPU? My first suggestion would be to try the GPU in a different slot.

Unfortunately, the crashes of the 0x10E are difficult to identify why they occurred. There is no documentation on the subtype of the bugcheck.

I honestly don't remember, but I'd say they are using the same slot.
It's prettty hard to change now unless I unscrew the custom cooling pipes, pumps etc.
Should I give it a try?

I'm about to say something stupid, maybe.
I still have the 1060 GPU around.
What if I plug it into the other slot? Would that be good to test if the slot is working? Or is the system going to have problems by plugging two different GPUs?

We need to know if the currently used PCI-e slot causes problems, so you would need to unassemble the cooling and reseat the GPU.

I do not expect it to matter whether you use the 1060 or the 2080, so long as the specific PCI-e slot won't be used either should be fine. I would not recommend both though to keep things simple.

TRENDING THREADS