Question Troubleshooting help - Hard disk shuts down and fan speeds up (BlackSOD)

Apr 1, 2019
The hard disk randomly shuts down while using the laptop and then fan goes super fast. There is a black screen but the power button's light is still on. I have to hard reset the laptop by holding down the power button and it starts working normally again.

There are 2 lights on the right side of the laptop. 1 for power and 1 presumably for hard disk( 3 circular disks on top of each other). When the screen goes black, the hard disk light turns off and the power light is still on. Concluding that the HDD shuts down.

It happens randomly while playing games, watching movies, youtube, did twice while typing this etc. It also happens while moving the laptop sometimes(like from one room to another) , so , it could be that there is a loose connection. Small movements also cause it to crash sometimes.

Specifications -
HP Pavillion 15 Notebook PC
4gb ram
2gb Nvidia geforce 830M
intel core i3-4030 1.9Ghz
BIOS - InsydeH20 03.73.06F.56 ( This BIOS version is locked or something and i cannot access it. When i press F2 while booting, it opens the HP hardware diagnostics ).

It's not shutting down due overheating. I checked with MSI afterburner.
I ran WhoCrashed but it said that there were no dump files.(There were dump files when i ran its tester but not when the hard disk crashed).
I ran HPs Diagnostic tool and the laptop passed the memory check and also the hard disk check. I did the quick check for the hard drive (3-4 min) because the extensive check was 4 hrs long and if i left the laptop unattended overnight , it may crash and then the fan will keep running at high speeds which may cause damage.

Note :- I recently bought a new charger for the laptop, so that could have something to do with this.

I also have a faulty battery which has a very small capacity to hold the charge and the laptop will die after 2-3 min when not plugged in. But that has been for the past 3-4 months and the hard disk issue came up recently.

Apr 1, 2019
I am thinking of buying a laptop in the next 3-4 months. So, dont want to upgrade and spend money on this.

Do i run the risk of loosening other cables while opening the laptop and reconnecting the HDD?