[SOLVED] Troubleshooting random shutdown on a new build

Jul 25, 2020
I built my first PC last week with no apparent issues. It worked fine for a week, but today it started shutting down randomly. I could really use some help figuring out how to diagnose.

The build is a Ryzen 5 3600, with GeForce GTX 1660 Super, a 1tb M.2 Inland SSD, 16gb of Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3600, Asus B450F ROG Strix, and CX650M 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze PSU.

It started when my daughter was playing Roblox, just a sudden and full shutdown, no warning or glitching. Not a restart. I replicated it playing Skyrim on Steam, then also just poking around on the PC. I booted to bios, reset the RAM to "auto" (I had set it to 3600, that's the only tweaking I had done). Then I tried Windows diagnostic and HCIMemTest and it shutdown during both. I loaded bios and was about to boot to MemTest86, and it shutdown in bios mode before I could even get it to boot the usb.

Both cpu temps and voltages seem to be within a normal range. I'm not sure what else I should check at this point. Buy some new RAM and test? Any advice? Thanks in advance!!

Solution
How many RAM sticks (16gb of Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3600 )do you have installed on your Motherboard?
The Random Restart could only lead to RAM or Driver issue But as the Computer Would randomly restart in BIOS could lead to RAM.
Maybe try to Boot only using One RAM stick (or replace) and see if that Helps.
All your other Specs are 100% Compatible that's why i think it Could be the RAM

Bassplate

Reputable
How many RAM sticks (16gb of Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3600 )do you have installed on your Motherboard?
The Random Restart could only lead to RAM or Driver issue But as the Computer Would randomly restart in BIOS could lead to RAM.
Maybe try to Boot only using One RAM stick (or replace) and see if that Helps.
All your other Specs are 100% Compatible that's why i think it Could be the RAM

Solution
Jul 25, 2020
Thank you I'm going to try all those now!
To be clear though, it's not a restart, it's a shutdown. Just the PC though, the power supply light it still on, so it's still getting power. Though the computer won't start back up (via the power button) until I turn off/on the PSU.
I'm going to reseat and try one stick at a time right now..

Jul 25, 2020
No luck. I tried both sticks on RAM in each slot and got the same results. It almost seems that the shutdown is happening quicker each time.
What are the chances that both sticks are bad? And what else could I check as a potential cause? Is it worth taking apart and fully rebuilding?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could try and breadboard, see if it will stay stable. Maybe even update the bios in that state,is what i do when building a pc, have an usb stick ready and breadboard (before building) to see if things work out, then if it does immidiately install latest bios.

Jul 25, 2020
I did updatd the bios and the latest version is installed (I just double checked). I'm a newb, so I had to look up breadboarding. It sounds a bit daunting considering my experience level

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Breadboarding just means using the core components outside the case. Put motherboard on the box it came in (or someting else non conductive,bit elevated) use cpu+gpu+stick of ram and see if it stays stable. Starting that by using a small screwdriver on the two pins for that in the frontpanel connector might be the most daunting part.

Jul 25, 2020
Thanks! It wasn't as hard as I thought.
But it didn't work. I unplugged everything and started it from the case, it got to bios then shut down after a minute or 2. Then I pulled it all out and set it up on the box, and now it doesn't even get to bios, it shuts down at the initial loading screen. Quicker each time it seems.
It sounds like a hardware issue, no? Motherboard?

Jul 26, 2020
Thanks for the update Jessefive. I'm having the exact same issue with my system and was looking for a post with similar issue. Did you have to replace both psu and mobo to get your system working again? I want to avoid buying both if I don't have to.

Jul 25, 2020
I don't know if I had to replace both, but I did. I didn't have the time or know-how to diagnose further, and they were both within the return window. Though my gut tells me it was the motherboard.
The breadboard suggestion was quite helpful to narrow down the culprit. And much easier than I feared