[SOLVED] Troubleshooting slow transfer speeds - LAN connection between PCs

Yuri Jones

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Hey guys I recently connected my home workstation to a new Predator laptop via a Cat6 cable. It was done direct, no router or switch. Both PCs have network cards that are Gigabit enabled.

I am not able to transfer files between the two via the Network folder, however the transfer speeds are very slow... averaging 2.5 MB/s.

Does anyone have any idea why this is? I expected much higher speeds to transfer some large TIFF files among other things.

So far I have changed the Speed and Duplex setting to 100 MBs and disabled the Large Send Offload settings on both PCs. These were suggestions I found online. Neither have helped though... so I'm hoping to have better luck with the forum.

Thanks in advance.

kanewolf

Titan
You want to leave the ports set to autonegotiate for the speed and duplex. Don't force them. Since you are doing a point-to-point network, you have to manually set the IP address of each host. If your workstation has multiple ethernet adapters, each one needs to be in a unique subnet. Your manual settings should have NO GATEWAY set.

Yuri Jones

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
You want to leave the ports set to autonegotiate for the speed and duplex. Don't force them. Since you are doing a point-to-point network, you have to manually set the IP address of each host. If your workstation has multiple ethernet adapters, each one needs to be in a unique subnet. Your manual settings should have NO GATEWAY set.

Thanks for the reply.

I've changed back the speed and duplex to Auto Negotiate. And yes, I'd chosen IP addresses for both PCs prior to my original post. The subnet mask is the same for both, and the default gateway is blank for both.

No marked difference.