Question Troubleshooting the Catalina Patcher install

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
So I've tried to do the DosDude Catalina patch on my MacBook Pro from October 2011. I've followed the tutorial as I went along and have confirmed my MacBook is compatible.

The first issue: During the process, it advised that I needed to complete a firmware update. And after downing the firmware update from the provided link, I completed the installation... so I thought.

While the firmware update went through the motions, the firmware isn't updating.

The second issue: I tried the option to ignore the firmware issue and continue the installation. But when I go into the boot manager to select the hard disk with the install files, it doesn't appear in the boot manager.

Do you think the USB drive containing the install files is unrecognized in boot manager BECAUSE of the failed firmware update? Or, am I dealing with two separate issues?

Thank you.
Dom

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Did you try to disable the GPU?

Although not familiar with DosDude, the tutorial I watched shows the 2011 MBP is not compatible.

It is a MacBook Pro, model identifier 8,1.

The compatibility list from the site includes MackBook Pro systems with the model identifier "MacBookPro8,x".

Based on this information, I've concluded that they are compatible.

When I do the firmware install using the link to the firmware they've provided, it goes through the motions, but, when rebooting, the update isn't completed as the machine just reboots into its regular home screen and not with the "Apple and progress bar" as stated.

Last edited:

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
It does say there are known issues with the one you have. You have disabled the GPU?

The 2011 MBP had GPU issues. I used to have one.

Would ensure you are all updated and perhaps try redoing the USB. And try again. Its third-party.

And what's the reason for wanting to move to Catalina?

Reactions: Dom46

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
It does say there are known issues with the one you have. You have disabled the GPU?

The 2011 MBP had GPU issues. I used to have one.

Would ensure you are all updated and perhaps try redoing the USB. And try again. Its third-party.

And what's the reason for wanting to move to Catalina?

As the system gets older, I'm finding that functionality isn't what it once was.

Some sites I visit have begun to tell me that the browser is not compatible and to upgrade. But, this system runs Sierra and I am at the ceiling when it comes to updating the OS and other software.

I have resorted to using Firefox, which I am happy with, but, I'd would prefer to use Safari.

If these limits were removed, I could probably get another 5 years out of the my MBP. Apple doesn't want that for the obvious reasons.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
I see. Would ensure you are not running any third-party software. Firefox is good. I have an iPhone 6 so understand.

Good to hear an old 2011 MBP is still running. My GPU went out and had to get a new one (MBP).

Try the process again and see what happens.

Grace and peace.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
I see. Would ensure you are not running any third-party software. Firefox is good. I have an iPhone 6 so understand.

Good to hear an old 2011 MBP is still running. My GPU went out and had to get a new one (MBP).

Try the process again and see what happens.

Grace and peace.

UPDATE:

So yes, I disabled SIP and the patch installed!

Now, I have a MBP from October 2011 that runs Catalina.

Thank you for the help!
Dom

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Yes, you should enable it, I show it is vital.

I was mostly asking where you read that in order to use DosDude you had to disable SIP. But I suppose that may be a possible default step to make major changes to your computer.

Grace and peace.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Yes, you should enable it, I show it is vital.

I was mostly asking where you read that in order to use DosDude you had to disable SIP. But I suppose that may be a possible default step to make major changes to your computer.

Grace and peace.

Disabling SIP was something I came across a few times, although I can't say for sure. It may have been in a previous thread while considering if I wanted to patch the system with Catalina.

But I have run into an issue since patching on which I will start a new thread.

Thank you again.
Dom