[SOLVED] True analog 7.1 vs atmos via usb HEADSET

Jun 16, 2021
Hello everyone! It's my first post here and I'm comming with a problem I'm struggling since a while.

It's comming a time to swap my gaming headset for somethink new and fresh and let me explain my situation:

For many many years I was incredible happy user of my old Roccat Kave 5.1 headset, note which is importand is: this headset is no fake/virtual/sorround 5.1, it's just true analog 5.1 with usb+4x mini jack. Every of my pc build run on Asus RoG motherboard, which was integrated with SupremeFX audio chipset, which was successor of old good Asus Rog Phoebeus sound card. I know this headset is synthetic, i know it's over bass'ed, however true 5.1 with quality sound card allways bring astonishing experiences from Fps games, like old good CoD4:MW or Battlefield. Sorround on this setup was faaar more effective and real than many usb (aka fake/ pseudo) 5.1 headsets just with 1usb cable connection.

At this moment my old Roccat looks a bit junky and I want to buy somethink new. Here comes a struggle:
  1. At this moment the only one true analog headset which is still available in shops is Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2, however people complain alot about reliability, quality, problems with compativility, settings, etc; so i'm not sure is that a best way to go... Or I'm wrong?
  2. If not Tiamat then there's nothink else with analog 7.1. I guess I would be forced to buy usb 7.1, em I right? Maybe You guys know any other models in thoose criterias?
  3. How is it theese days with Atmos and all thoose fake dolby codecs? Are they at least a bit comparable with real 7.1? I mean mostly a sorround system and positioning in FPS games. Is it worth spending 300$?
Is it a good idea to buy 7.1 usb headset? Or better to start looking for professional headphones in music shoops?

PS I would like to hear opinions from people who have personal experience, I'm not interested about marketing slogans from webshops.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
7.1 analog or 7.1 USB shouldnt really matter
difference lies in this:
7.1 analog audio is comming from your soudcard (if u havy crappy integrated realtek, no good speakers will fix that)
7.1 usb audio is comming from usb soundcard (if u have crappy integrated realtek, it gets fully ignored and u can enjoy higher quality DAC from your USB device)

as for which 7.1 headphones are best....im no expert in this area and its still something u have to hear for your self as everybody has different hearing
7.1 analog or 7.1 USB shouldnt really matter
difference lies in this:
7.1 analog audio is comming from your soudcard (if u havy crappy integrated realtek, no good speakers will fix that)
7.1 usb audio is comming from usb soundcard (if u have crappy integrated realtek, it gets fully ignored and u can enjoy higher quality DAC from your USB device)

as for which 7.1 headphones are best....im no expert in this area and its still something u have to hear for your self as everybody has different hearing

Solution
Two points:

While Realtek's don't hold a candle to dedicated soundcards, their codecs do tend to be better then what most companies put into their USB devices.

I had the Tiamat 7.1’s and the sound quality was below average for its price tag and the positional sound was no better than a virtual headset.

The problem will "all" surround headsets is they need to sacrifice on audio quality to fit all the necessary sound drivers.

Jun 16, 2021
First of all I would like to excuse for delay with reply:

Kerberos_20, thank You very much for Your reply, indeed You have a point, however we are talking about my case, where I do have quite good sound card and looking for a best sorround to work with.

Sizzling: that is a great opinion! Thank You for Your reply, I'm glad I can hear something from person who had tiamat and person, whos able to compare it to virtual

Gamerk316: in my case I believe this SuopemeFX is a Realtek on a steroids 😘 maybe its not a phoebus itself but its way better than regular realteks.
However we are not speaking about audio quality, cause no gaming headset is good at this. Im pointing only at sorround sound and somethink they used to call scout mode-years ago; which is hearing distance.

At the end I have a good news!
I just had great day with possibility to buy Tiamat 7.1 V2 and Plantronics RIG 700HS, so I just bought both of them 😁😁😁😁
I allready recieved RIG's and allready got my first impressions but I will wait for Tiamat and meanwhile I will allso buy Atmos for my win.
My next post here is going to be a review and compare between Roccat Kave Analog 5.1 (not XTD, the first edition) vs. Razer Tiamat 7.1 V2 vs. Plantronics RIG 700HS. Analog headsets are going to be tested with Sonic Studio from RoG mobo and RIG is going to be on ATMOS😁😁😁

Hello everyone! It's my first post here and I'm comming with a problem I'm struggling since a while.

It's comming a time to swap my gaming headset for somethink new and fresh and let me explain my situation:

For many many years I was incredible happy user of my old Roccat Kave 5.1 headset, note which is importand is: this headset is no fake/virtual/sorround 5.1, it's just true analog 5.1 with usb+4x mini jack. Every of my pc build run on Asus RoG motherboard, which was integrated with SupremeFX audio chipset, which was successor of old good Asus Rog Phoebeus sound card. I know this headset is synthetic, i know it's over bass'ed, however true 5.1 with quality sound card allways bring astonishing experiences from Fps games, like old good CoD4:MW or Battlefield. Sorround on this setup was faaar more effective and real than many usb (aka fake/ pseudo) 5.1 headsets just with 1usb cable connection.

At this moment my old Roccat looks a bit junky and I want to buy somethink new. Here comes a struggle:
  1. At this moment the only one true analog headset which is still available in shops is Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2, however people complain alot about reliability, quality, problems with compativility, settings, etc; so i'm not sure is that a best way to go... Or I'm wrong?
  2. If not Tiamat then there's nothink else with analog 7.1. I guess I would be forced to buy usb 7.1, em I right? Maybe You guys know any other models in thoose criterias?
  3. How is it theese days with Atmos and all thoose fake dolby codecs? Are they at least a bit comparable with real 7.1? I mean mostly a sorround system and positioning in FPS games. Is it worth spending 300$?
Is it a good idea to buy 7.1 usb headset? Or better to start looking for professional headphones in music shoops?

PS I would like to hear opinions from people who have personal experience, I'm not interested about marketing slogans from webshops.

Thanks!

Unless you have a headphone with 5 or 7 drivers in it, you are using "fake virtual surround". The sound card does positioning of the audio using some tricks to make your stereo headphone drivers make sounds that seem to come from behind or in front of you.

Any headphone/headset that has 5.1 or 7.1 in the description is doing it out of pure marketing and some if they have an add-on sound card or DAC that provides their own "virtual surround sound".

The only "real" 5.1 or 7.1 setup you can have is if you actually have speakers positioned around you and separate signals sent to those speakers, including a sub.

Unless you have a headphone with 5 or 7 drivers in it, you are using "fake virtual surround". The sound card does positioning of the audio using some tricks to make your stereo headphone drivers make sounds that seem to come from behind or in front of you.

Any headphone/headset that has 5.1 or 7.1 in the description is doing it out of pure marketing and some if they have an add-on sound card or DAC that provides their own "virtual surround sound".

The only "real" 5.1 or 7.1 setup you can have is if you actually have speakers positioned around you and separate signals sent to those speakers, including a sub.
The Tiamat 7.1’s are a multi driver headset, from memory I believe they are 5 drivers per side.

Edit: yes 5 drivers per side.

Jun 16, 2021
hang-the-9 I'm sorry but I think You have no idea what are we talking about (however You are right).
Roccat Kave do have 3 speakers per side (total 6)
Razer Tiamat is 5 speakers per side (total 10) - just like sizzling sayed.

23112001285l.JPG