Trump Repeals FCC Privacy Rules, But ISPs' 'Fairness' Argument Weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
The only good thing about this is it forces us to move to VPNs to get the ISPs noses out of our business, and this will improve privacy in general.

Hugo_011

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
if they are going to sell data, it should be voluntary, maybe with a different cheaper plan, along this another service with encryptions, vpn and all possible securities already in place.

There is also the problem of going thorugh all this security for regular users as it does not guarantee privacy or data being stolen, and for idustrial or more important data it might even make it easier. even if it does narrow the possibilities of who might be capable.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Anyone who thought a millionaire with a history of scamming people would help the little-guy needs their head examined.

G

Microsoft and Google are already doing this crap with their shit OS called Windows 10 and Android.

Giroro

Splendid
This means I can buy the browsing history and personal information of any given politician, without any warrant?

That would be pretty useful, except most politicians are millionaire that can afford all kinds of enterprise privacy tools, personal servers, etc. That aren't affordable to the general public.

Plus, I bet Washington DC has more than one ISP, unlike the rest of America.

dstarr3

Distinguished

If you know what a VPN is. Or are even aware of this privacy infringement. Which the vast majority of internet users aren't and don't.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The weakest argument was from the author of this article. Had to read a very bias article three times as it passed the house, senate, and got signed into law. The author straw manned the argument, pinpointed their entire view on a what if, and completely ignored that most ISP do not sell user data and never had. All that the same time forgetting that privacy concerns are handled by the FTC, not the FCC.

I'm trying to understand the "shock" here. Google and Facebook have been doing this for a while. ISPs did and now they will still be able to. Why are we only up in arms about ISPs doing it? Shouldn't we be pushing for all of them to stop? Why only the ISPs? I don't understand.

Giroro

Splendid
@AJPAOLELLI

It's easy to avoid google or Facebook of you choose, there's a lot of other options out there.
Google cannot track your data if you aren't using their services.
ISPs however, have no competition (competition between most ISPs is actually illegal in the US ... which had something to do with their lines going through public land), you are either forced into their terms, or have no internet (and by extension, no way to get and keep a job). Plus, ISPs have access to vastly more information about you. They can easily copy and alter any unencrypted information that passes through their system. You have to hand over your SSN and bank info to even use their services in the first place. They have your entire browsing history. They can potentially keep copies of your emails or files uploaded to the cloud.

ISPs have an obscene amount of power. They either need to be regulated like phone service, or the market needs to be changed so competition is possible.

You don't have to use Google or Facebook but how many people do? We could make the argument that you don't have to use the internet. And why is this all so shocking now? We have had so many people collecting our data. So many. And we never had an issue with it until it was mentioned. So make all of them play fair. Force everyone to stop collecting our data. You start putting tons of regulations on them and then next thing you know prices go up.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Try reading the article?

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I like the guy that said Trump wanted people to use a VPN to avoid the "deep state". Deep state. Like his buddy Roger? LOL

schwatzz

Distinguished

;)

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
No, you can't make the argument that you don't have to use the internet. We're past that point. An appeals court recently ruled that ISPs are "common carriers". That means they are like phone companies and need to observe similar rules. Like privacy. And because they are common carriers, they are under FCC jurisdiction, not FTC.

If we're talking about playing fair, maybe phone companies should voice scan our phone calls and sell the topics of our conversations to robocallers?

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"'Im trying to understand the "shock" here. Google and Facebook have been doing this for a while. ISPs did and now they will still be able to. Why are we only up in arms about ISPs doing it? Shouldn't we be pushing for all of them to stop? Why only the ISPs? I don't understand."

Its not the same thing. I dont have to use facebook, i dont have to use google.

But most people only have a single choice of ISP. There is no alternative.

Id be elated if they would make it illegal for anyone to sell personal data without expressly opting in. As well as making it illegal to hide such an 'opt in' in the primary user agreement.

The solution is simple. Change your behaviour. The only reason the internet was somewhat anonymous at one point, was through obscurity. No one really knew how it worked, and not many people used it.
Now everyone uses it, everything is tracked and logged, either for security or for advertising.
The ISP's already have all of your data. They can sit infront of a screen and see everything you do with general ease. The internet is not becoming more and more secure as time moves forward, on the contrary, it's becoming more of an advertising play ground and less of a tool. You can't tell the difference between click bait articles and news articles anymore. Half the email you receive is just phishing scams. A large portion of the encryption methods out there are compromised, including Kerberos and HTTPS.
It's too hard to change our minds on the level of privacy we expect, but we should teach our children that nothing online is secure, and everything is recorded. And it's very simple to demonstrate that fact to them with a good Firewall and logging.

BigD1

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Microsoft with Windows 10, Google, Facebook, and etc. should be the only ones getting richer by the minute according to the author's one sided argument. ISP's just getting their share of the pie now.

So let's hurt ISPs, meanwhile Google Fiber gets bigger and kicks out the ISPs and makes a monopoly.

Google is optional? It's a optional as internet. How many of us use chrome? And where does everyone go to do a search? Google. Google has become a verb in language. You can't argue Google is optional any better than I can argue that internet is optional. That's just not happening. How about Windows 10? They collect data. Are they optional? You know since most of the computers on the market use Windows 10?

So who's going to make thew push that we remove all collection of data? I see a lot of people talking about problems but proposing no solutions. This is called whining people. Let's propose solutions rather than whine.

Here's a solution: stop everyone from collecting data. Done.

videobear

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
"...Here's a solution: stop everyone from collecting data. Done."

Not very realistic. There is no safety in life, nor is there on the internet. Prudent people will take steps to safeguard themselves.

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
I understand that ISPs have methods of making money other than selling data. They sometimes have local monopolies. However, what I cannot understand is the outrage over the legalization of them selling data. Granted, Google and Facebook can't see all of your data.

However, data is data. The big argument over this seems to center around privacy. If losing data privacy is so awful, then why hasn't there been an outrage over other companies taking data? Again, I understand that Google and Facebook rely on the data for a big portion of revenue whereas ISPs don't. However, the main arguments are over privacy, not revenue. Our privacy was already lost when we browsed on Chrome, signed up on Facebook, or used a Google account.

Having ISPs take our data does not make us loose it any more. ISPs don't see all my data. For instance, when I use the wifi on my house, I use one ISP. However, when I use my mobile data on my phone, I use a different ISP. If I use my college's wifi, I use another ISP. If I use my employer's wifi, I use still another ISP. No one ISP has all my data. No one ISP will ever have a complete set of data on one person, just like how Google and Facebook won't have a complete set of data for one person.

So, privacy at worst is lost a little. We seemed not to mind a few months ago when most of our data is taken. Now, people are outraged when only a little more data is used. This outrage is what I cannot understand.

TheDavil86

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
So ISPs can do what Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook, and like every other company can do? Except now they can "double dip", just like microsoft, google, apple, and facebook do... You realize that Google has tons of subscriber services right? As does microsoft, apple, and even facebook. And you're going to say that these services come and go? Do you know how long I've been using google? Longer than Comcast has been providing broadband actually, and that's not even close to as long ago as I had one of the original Apply Macintosh's. so no these services don't come and go. So this article is garbage, it's clearly biased and just trying to raise outrage among people who take this for face value. These politically biased articles should have no place here.

Status
Not open for further replies.