News Trump's Tariffs and Tech: Everything You Need to Know

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
It's not just outsourcing to China, it's outsourcing to anywhere and the way our chosen scumbags officials
benefit either directly or (in)directly.
Those that believe China is our only problem also believe that Star Trek was filmed on "Remote Location".

Reactions: Spaceghaze

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Except those in America already strapped for cash will struggle more due to the price increase on many common items, even razors orally most anything mass produced.
If your strapped for cash... dont buy the products coming from China and get cheaper alternatives, or improve yourself and get a better paying job. Stop blaming YOUR problems on 'others' and expecting those 'others' to solve them for you.

Reactions: Gurg

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Its weird to think basically little to none of any tech is made in the united states.
I feel like the only way to actually get giants to stop outsourcing to china is if china implements actual labour/wage laws that are similar to the US but since its china I doubt we'll ever see that
I think why tech is made primarily in East Asia has to do with the availability of resources. The fabrication process is mostly automated so the cost of labor isn't much of an issue until the parts reach assembly phase. There are a lot of major resources around South East Asia making the cost of shipping less when you manufacture in the region. You can also limit tariffs by only paying them on the end product.
The assembly process can either be automated, or done in an assembly line. Working on an assembly line in the US I can say that the cost of labor isn't a major factor either. It's more about the availability of labor under clean conditions, or a move to automated facilities which increases the individual laborers productivity.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Stop blaming YOUR problems on 'others' and expecting those 'others' to solve them for you.
You're missing the point. Tariffs are a tax that 'others', in the US Government, decided to levy on imports. This tax is directly paid by US companies and consumers - not China, as Trump seems to believe. The estimated annual cost to US households is $831/year.

https://libertystreeteconomics.newy...osts-to-us-households.html?mod=article_inline

What's ironic about your comment is that the whole point of the tariffs is specifically to solve problems for people, by acting as leverage to get a better trade deal. Why else would Trump hurt US companies and consumers, if not for any benefit?

Anyhow, while any long-term benefits remain a hope, the pain of the tariffs is being felt, today. And when someone inflicts pain on you, it seems entirely legitimate to complain about it.

Last edited:

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Despite the tariffs the same specs for the desktop I built in Dec. 2018 cost $106 less today, down 5.7% despite the Christmas sales now being over.