[SOLVED] Trying to achieve 4k 60hz on TCL TV from laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2019
I'm trying to get my laptop to output 4k 60hz to my TCL tv model 55S405.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTGM5I9
I have turned on hdmi 2.0 in the tv settings.

My laptop is a Sager NP8652-S (rebranded Clevo P650SG). The laptop has a Intel HD 4600 and a Nvidia 980m. I can only control the video resolution through the Intel settings, they are not available under the Nvidia settings. I believe the single hdmi port is version 1.4 and the two display ports are version 1.2 (haven't been able to 100% confirm either of those). Since I think the hdmi port is too old, I bought this mini display port to hdmi converter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBFR1FJ
I'm using this hdmi cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SSD0

Currently I can only select 3840x2160 up to 30hz. I'm not sure what I'm missing here and why I can't go beyond that. I have not tried turning on HDR inside windows. It says my tv doesn't support it anyway.

Last edited:

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
I found this from another toms hardware post:

"If you want to output the video at 60Hz, then both the laptop and the display (PC monitor or HDTV) must have a HDMI v2.0 input / output port. If either the laptop or the display only has a HDMI v1.4 port, then the 4k video will only be displayed at 30Hz. "

It looks you cant output 60hz @ 4k with just HDMI 1.4.

Aug 19, 2019
I found this from another toms hardware post:

"If you want to output the video at 60Hz, then both the laptop and the display (PC monitor or HDTV) must have a HDMI v2.0 input / output port. If either the laptop or the display only has a HDMI v1.4 port, then the 4k video will only be displayed at 30Hz. "

It looks you cant output 60hz @ 4k with just HDMI 1.4.

You are correct, that's why I bought the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter I linked in my original post. I have that connected to my pc and the hdmi cable I linked plugged into the adapter (since my tv doesn't have any display port inputs). I thought that would solve my problem as it claims to be able to pass through 4k 60hz and I'm thinking my display ports are also capable.
However, I still can only select up to 30hz

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Okay so you're using your mini display port from your laptop, going to an HDMI adapter, then into the TV?

From what I've researched, If the TV doesn't support HDMI 2.0 then it wont matter what the laptop can do.

Aug 19, 2019
Okay so you're using your mini display port from your laptop, going to an HDMI adapter, then into the TV?

From what I've researched, If the TV doesn't support HDMI 2.0 then it wont matter what the laptop can do.

I have enabled HDMI 2.0 in the tv settings.
dev__1_.jpg

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Okay, then I'd make sure you have the latest drivers, because it should work!

and ensure that you really do have a DP 1.2 on that laptop. I cant find the official manual anywhere online so you may have to do some more digging than I did.

EDIT: I would even try clean installing the driver

Aug 19, 2019
I solved my problem. Turns out I missed a very obvious option when adding custom resolutions. I didn't see the dropdown to actually select my TV to add the custom resolution in the Intel control panel.

QT2Yvzw.jpg

It was defaulting to the built in display on my laptop which definitely could not support 4k. After switching to the TV I was able to add my 4k @ 60hz custom res and I used the CVT-R8 timing standard.

Everything is working now :giggle:

Reactions: timbroslice
Status
Not open for further replies.