Question Trying to brainstorm an upgrade path

Aug 5, 2024
so i have and alienware alpha mini desktop pc. got the i5-6400 and al LGA 1151 motherboard. ive never opened it and due to the small size of the unit im wondering, if im able to swap out the motherboard and processor with products of a similar size? just not sure if it would fit the same or if thats even an issue to worry about. use it very casually, have had it for a number of years. dont really have to funds required to build a new unit like i would want, so i was just wondering if a cheaper motherboard/processor upgrade would be possible?

im pretty green when it comes to the working of pc builds, incase that wasnt apparent.

and if the swap is a doable thing would anything else in the stock unit need to be replaced?

if anyone is familiar with the unit, i would appreciate the input.

i just noticed that the motherboard is only capable of hosting a 4 core processor and i need something a little more.
thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
If you're changing the motherboard and CPU (and RAM and PSU, and probably GPU)....the only thing you would be keeping is that little Alienware case.

A case is one of the lower cost items in a new PC.

Sell the Alienware as is, and just build a whole new system.

Aug 5, 2024
If you're changing the motherboard and CPU (and RAM and PSU, and probably GPU)....the only thing you would be keeping is that little Alienware case.

A case is one of the lower cost items in a new PC.

Sell the Alienware as is, and just build a whole new system.
could i even get any money for such a unit? like i said it is quite dated. figured it probably wouldnt fetch much