Trying to connect VPN to PS3 and PS4, not working, help?

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Trying to connect my VPN to my PS4 console here. Doesn't work. Tried it with the PS3, doesn't work either. I'll explain my setup as thoroughly as I can.

What I have:
1 ethernet cable (they say you need a crossover cable, not really sure if mine is crossover)
VPN Service on computer - Using Zenmate VPN (it doesn't support consoles just yet,but it can be done with methods like the one I'm trying)
PS4 and PS3 of course.

So, what I do is I startup my VPN client on my PC, hook up an ethernet cable to my console and my computer together, go to Network and Sharing Center, then Change adapter settings, right click the VPN adapter, right click Properties > Sharing, then checking Allow other network users to connect through this Computer's internet connection, choose the ethernet cable adapter on the list, which is Local Area Connection then hit Apply and ok. Now the VPN profile is being shared to my ethernet cable connections (or atleast I thought), I re-dial the VPN server, go over to my console in the network settings, configuring it with the LAN cable option and testing the connection. What happens? It fails. I would expect it first try. Take note I was following all this from a youtube video, so there was a method if it failed, you could try using the OpenDNS or Google DNS, I tried both, it obtains an IP Address, but fails for everything else. What exactly am I doing wrong here? I don't exactly know all that much about crossover cables, and I'm not sure if my stash of ethernet cables contains an ethernet cable with crossover. I know that my VPN doesn't support consoles yet, but I mean, the video I watched, the guy did it with the PureVPN which supports it and it's the exact same setup sty;e, and it worked for him, someone tell me what am I doing wrong here besides the part where the VPN doesn't support PS4. The video didn't mention anything about a crossover cable though (The guy connects via ethernet, so since his laptop doesn't have 2 ethernet ports and only just has 1, he needed to use a usb ethernet adapter to connect an ethernet cable to the laptop and to the console. But im connected via wifi, so I don't need any adapters and all that.

Solution
Very interesting method. Using a bridge of sorts to get the console to use the VPN. Not a terrible idea.

The clearest solution i can think of is to set the router up to use the VPN, that way all your traffic goes through it. Problem there is it becomes difficult to switch between different VPNs, turn it on and off, etc.

I don't think anyone uses crossover cables anymore - if it is needed, the NICs are smart enough to adjust for a standard ethernet cable, so the crossover is done internally.

I'm with you that lack of console support doesn't mean that i won't work for consoles. But your method isn't common and i'd have no way of replicating it really.
Very interesting method. Using a bridge of sorts to get the console to use the VPN. Not a terrible idea.

The clearest solution i can think of is to set the router up to use the VPN, that way all your traffic goes through it. Problem there is it becomes difficult to switch between different VPNs, turn it on and off, etc.

I don't think anyone uses crossover cables anymore - if it is needed, the NICs are smart enough to adjust for a standard ethernet cable, so the crossover is done internally.

I'm with you that lack of console support doesn't mean that i won't work for consoles. But your method isn't common and i'd have no way of replicating it really.

Solution

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Thanks for the info, I've heard you can setup your VPN to your router, but how do you do it? Not sure if it supports my router, it's called a Bell Home Hub 2000. Is there a setting I have to configure with a certain server or something? If so, what's it called and I'll look for it at the router website
OR, I could connect a spare TP-Link router I have laying around and connect it to my modem (the modem actually has wifi) and use the router to use the VPN

Oh wait, you just posted a new comment as I was writing this one, I could try bridging them together. It works, I can try it.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Errr... How do I bridge them again? Might be a dumb question to ask, but... I mean, it's showing a message saying
To create a network bridge, you must select atleast two LAN or high speed internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing.
How do I do that? I'm trying to, but it wont work

davidcpu

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

I would love too know how you got it working... I'm in the exact situation as your first first thread...

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Well, for starters, it didnt work for me the first time because my vpn doesnt quite support it just yet, but ill get into that in a moment. so what you do is get an ethernet cable, plug it to your computer (if your computer is connected to the internet via ethernet and doesn't have more than 1 ethernet port, then you can get a usb ethernet adapter of some sort), and connect the ethernet cable to the ps4 as well. The computer and ps4 are now connected to each other. What you need to do is make sure your vpn is on your computer and there's an adapter or profile or whatever you'd like to call it. Now, go to the network and sharing center, go to change adapter settings, look for your vpn adapter or profile, right click it and hit properties, go to the sharing tab at the top, and hit allow other network users to connect to this computers internet connection, and then select the ethernet cable from the list below (usually local area connection or if you named it then yeah), then hit apply then ok!
Your VPN connection should now be shared with your ethernet cable, thus going through the PS4!
If your client was on when doing the sharing this, make sure you redial it for the settings to take effect if required.
So now go on your ps4, go to the settings, then network, then setup internet connection, choose use a lan cable, custom, then hit automatic for everything, then apply it and test the connection. it should work!
Now, note that it may not work for some VPN's. I tried using Zenmate, and it didn't work. Some good vpn's that should work for it are hidemyass (not sure), and ipvanish and a few others. I tried using a vpnbook.com vpn and it actually worked, a little bit atleast. could go on the internet, but couldnt play online on games, and was kind of slow sometimes. but what do you expect, I was using a free vpn, which are usually not good, i recommend a good paid vpn, you get what you pay for.

davidcpu

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
firstly thanks for replying! so, i've basically done everything you have done in your first post at the top of the page, but i'm using purevpn. Ive shared the vpn connection with Ethernet cable ps3, but when I go to settings on the ps3 I cant get an internet connection. i'm going to try it again and double check I redial it

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Yeah, PureVPN seems to usually work on consoles too

If it doesn't work, I'll give u lots of links to some videos for setting up a vpn on consoles and see if you can get it working :)

davidcpu

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
hey buddy, I'm still having no luck with this. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or missing out. I've read so many guides and watched many youtube videos (even a guy using PUREVPN) and I seem to be doing exactly what's being stated. So, you basically only changed the VPN Service to get yours to work yeah?
In your network and sharing center, under VPN does it say public network or private network?
And, Is your VPN using PPTP or L2TP?

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Yep. What I did.
And I'm not sure. I think I was using PPTP, I'm not quite sure on that though, tomorrow I'll do a check and see, but I think it was PPTP, maybe L2TP I don't know, I'll check in a few hours
And mine says public network I believe, but it's not really public, since it's just a VPN
You could try using a DNS to do it if it doesn't work, which I got from a video. You can use googles DNS or opendns, which you can find both from a quick google search, but I know the Google DNS is this:
Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8, secondary DNS: 4.4.4.4
I will write back here once I've verified if I'm using PPTP for my VPN or L2TP
Really what I did was use a different VPN

davidcpu

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Oh really! I'm using windows 8 too, apparently windows 8 is harder to share a connection than windows 7.
I have just one more question please. In your network and sharing center, change adapted settings, whats under your vpn connection? Does it say WAN miniport or TAP-Windows Adapter V9?
Thanks

Sorry, also are you actually using a shared connection or a bridged connection? because I currently use a bridge connection from wifi on laptop to p3s, with no issues at all.
thanks mate.

davidcpu

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Yeah mine is the same.
I'm actually beginning to think that my VPN is in fact sharing a connection with my console, I just need to manually config the settings on the ps3.
As, when I originally set up a bride connection from laptop wifi to ps3, Through Custom-Wired Connection-auto detect, I couldn't get a connection or even obtain an IP address, which was leading me to think the bridge wasn't working. But then I tried Custom-Wired Connection-Manual Settings and manually entered
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Router
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS
And then I was able to obtained an IP Addess and get an internet connection.

davidcpu

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

My speeds are ok. When i'm playing online via bridge connection through wifi its allgood.

UPDATE.
So I can obtain an IP through auto settings now with the shared connection, I have never been able to before so I guess that's progress, lol.
Still no internet connection tho.