Question Trying to create a bootable USB for Tails and it will not work

May 16, 2019
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Didn't seen an OS section.

I've been trying to make a bootable USB for tails for a couple of days now and here is everything that i have tried.

Tried using Rufus to make a bootable USB with a Tails ISO that i got directly from the tails website. I formatted the drive before i did that. Rebooted my computer, changed the booting sequence, and then saved and restarted my computer. The tails main menu booted up which i believe is called the GRUB. Anyways is doesn't let me select anything. When i try to it just resets the current screen.

So i booted back into windows, downloaded the universal USB installer and downloaded another ISO of tails. Shut down my computer and booted from that USB. The same thing happened.

I tried creating a VM from their VM ISO and it worked perfectly but that removes the later of security that you would get from using tails. So it wouldn't be the best thing to use.

I looked up some stuff on bootable devices and why some OSs have trouble booting from a USB and it said that most ISOs are images of a CD. I really dont want to have to buy a CD drive for my computer to solve this issue. If push comes to shove i will, and it will make booting from multiple different OSs a lot easier.

If someone can even recommend something for me to read i would be perfectly fine with that.

Thank you for reading this far :)

Tried using Rufus to make a bootable USB with a Tails ISO that i got directly from the tails website. I formatted the drive before i did that. Rebooted my computer, changed the booting sequence, and then saved and restarted my computer. The tails main menu booted up which i believe is called the GRUB. Anyways is doesn't let me select anything. When i try to it just resets the current screen.
This makes me believe you've successfully created your bootable USB, but GRUB configuration is not right. On the GRUB screen, press 'e' over the entry, and see what kernel parameters are used, then add parameters for "safe" boot. It might happen your computer is not of the "standard" variety - exotic GPU, or motherboard etc