Trying to Figure Out if Motherboard Supports Ivy Bridge Cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrupt120

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my CPU while keeping the same (really) old motherboard. I currently have an i5-2500s and am thinking of getting an i7-3770s to replace it (s variant because limited by 65w tdp). The only issue is that although they share the same socket they have different architectures.

The mobo I have at the moment is an Acer H61H2-AD. When checking system information it says that the motherboard comes from an Acer Aspire 1600x. Due to the fact that this motherboard comes from a previously prebuilt system I've had trouble finding much information about the bios. From what I can see, my current bios is American Megatrends Inc. P11-A4l, 4/2/2013. There's not much else I can find.

I'm hoping that this bios will support Ivy Bridge because its from 2013, however I would like to know as much as possible before jumping into a purchase. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

mgallo848

Commendable
I personally wouldn't dump any money into that system.
It's a micro-atx board.
Only 2 slots available for memory so there is no upgrade path, only replacement path.
I looked for information on the board and I could only find places that says "supports 2nd gen CPU's".
Technically, an i7 3000 series should work but it may require a BIOS update that may not exist.
Personally, it's too much of a gamble when there's not enough info to go on.
Save your money upgrade to a more modern system, something that you're not gambling money on.

corrupt120

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Hey, just posting a follow up.

After doing a little more searching I managed to find the product specifications for the Acer 1600x (original PC where my current motherboard is from) https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2013/4871/1600X/DT.SMTCN.019.html

Looking at the datasheet it stated that the Acer 1600x originally came with an Intel Celeron G1610 which is an Ivy bridge processor. With this information I decided to purchase the i7-3770s. After a few weeks of Canada Post going on strike the processor arrived and to my delight the CPU is perfectly compatible with the motherboard.

I'm mostly just posting this in case anybody happens to end up in the same situation as me. For anybody who is wondering, the Acer H61H2-AD motherboard is compatible with any Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge CPU as long as its within the 65w TDP requirement and the bios version is American Megatrends P11-A4L. Which is great considering how cheap of a motherboard it is.

Thanks to those who replied, the problem is solved.

Reactions: TodayIsDomingo
Status
Not open for further replies.