Question Trying to get 5.1 audio from PC to TV

Dustin97

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
I have a 5.1 Vizio soundbar with rear speakers. I am able to get 5.1 audio from all of my consoles just fine. I connect the consoles to my TV via HDMI and have my soundbar connected to the tv via optical. However, when I connect my PC to my TV via HDMI, it only detects stereo sound. I do not have a receiver like most people with 5.1 setups and don't want to buy one at the moment. I was wondering if something like this HDMI splitter would be able to solve my audio issue?

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitte...ds=4k+hdmi+splitter+5.1&qid=1588616300&sr=8-4

Dustin97

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
I would spend some time trying to figure out why the PC isn't outputting 5.1 before looking for a hardware solution - dig around in the sound-related settings and see if you can find anything useful. The PC may be configured for stereo only.
So it is possible to get 5.1 from your PC with just an HDMI cable? I've seen conflicting advice about needing a soundcard that supports 5.1 or needing something to convert the audio.

So it is possible to get 5.1 from your PC with just an HDMI cable? I've seen conflicting advice about needing a soundcard that supports 5.1 or needing something to convert the audio.
Yes - from the control panel, under 'Sound', go to 'Manage Audio Devices', select the appropriate output device (your TV), and hit Configure. It should allow you to set your speaker configuration there.