Question Trying To Get MSI Warranty Service but my backplate has a small scratch

BlazingAngels

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
I had posted earlier about my graphics cards back plate having a minor scratch, its a MSI RTX 2080 Gaming Trio and it has been having some artifacting to the point it has become quite annoying. I am not sure if I can return now because I have a minor scratch on it, that wasn't even caused by me. Also I had contacted MSI and they said that if that I should contact Amazon see if they can send me a replacement back plate because they are the retailer I had bought the card from but my 30 return period is up so I not sure if I can do that. If they can't send me a replacement back plate, I would have to paint over the scratch and return it like that but I not sure if they would accept in that condition and neither with the scratch I currently have. So I not sure how I should go about this so I would appreciate some help with this.

Speak to Amazon and see what there advice is because if its artifacting its under warranty so ether MSI or amazon would not mind a scratch on the backplate because the GPU is faulty so they wont be able to resell it. MSI will just repair it or replace it. Open An RMA send it to MSI. Do not even paint over the scratch

Reactions: DMAN999
Cosmetic damage isn't going to void the warranty, I would think. Of course it it's only the scratch...not worth sending it back for something that doesn't matter like that.

If you do have artifacting, and it is attributable to the card, itself, and doesn't isolate to anything else in the system; MSI is usually very good about honoring their warranty.

Open a ticket with them, and don't make an issue of the scratch, since that's not the real issue you're dealing with.

Last edited:

Emplehod

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Cosmetic damage isn't going to void the warranty, I would think. Of course it it's only the scratch...not worth sending it back for something that doesn't matter like that.

If you do have artifacting, and it is attributable to the card, itself, and doesn't isolate to anything else in the system; MSI is usually very good about honoring their warranty.

Open a ticke with them, and don't make an issue of the scratch, since that's not the real issue you're dealing with.
Not to Asus, apparently. I had one of their crap motherboards for only 4 months that a capacitor burned up on and sent it back for warranty. They found a small scratch less than 1/16" of an inch long along a part of the board not even near a trace and cried "PHYSICAL DAMAGE!" and refused to warranty the board. Last time I bought an Asus product.

Not to Asus, apparently. I had one of their crap motherboards for only 4 months that a capacitor burned up on and sent it back for warranty. They found a small scratch less than 1/16" of an inch long along a part of the board not even near a trace and cried "PHYSICAL DAMAGE!" and refused to warranty the board. Last time I bought an Asus product.
Thats not really relevant to this thread.
Regardless a scratch on a backplate vs on a motherboard is very different in terms of RMA procedures.

Emplehod

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Thats not really relevant to this thread.
Regardless a scratch on a backplate vs on a motherboard is very different in terms of RMA procedures.
I would contend it is relevant, since the comment was about cosmetic damage voiding a warranty. There should never be an issue of warranty when something cannot possibly have an affect on a product. A lawsuit was settled in the auto industry on just this question. Manufacturers used to tell customers that installing an aftermarket product would void their warranties. It was judged that this was illegal and it does not void a warranty unless it can be proven the aftermarket device caused the issue. A minor scratch on a motherboard fiberglas portion cannot possibly damage any circuitry.

Reactions: Karadjgne