[SOLVED] Trying to get this system purchased soon. Need case advice and critiques please!

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Approximate Purchase Date: This week.
Budget Range: $1800-$2200 before monitor and keyboard. Less is better!
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multipurpose family computer, Steam gaming, Netflix streaming.
Are you buying a monitor: Yes Want an IPS or VA 1440 over 60Hz and at least a 27"
Parts to Upgrade: All. This is a brand new build
Do you need to buy OS: Yes and not OEM.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, B and H photo video
Parts Preferences: Intel, Gigabyte, Asus, Samsung SSD, G.Skill, Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA,
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: Desire a 1440
Additional Comments: I will be using this PC for an all around work horse but would like to ALSO play games such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1440 with fairly high settings.No video editing or intense streaming. This will be our main house computer for a little bit of everything and probably heavier weekend gaming. Cooling is important and I don't think we will overclock. Want to future proof as much as possible as we won't be building again for several years. I am open to any/all suggestions. Since we anticipate using the Noctua cooler or possibly the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, I chose low profile memory but I suppose with the right case that might not be as much of an issue. I definitely need dust filters and good airflow. Don't care about noise. RGB would be fun but not necessary. I like the look of the tinted glass but again not super important. If you know of any specific issues with any of the components I have chosen, please speak up! A bit more information: we plan to purchase a new monitor as well. Shadow of Tomb Raider is of the games so we are wanting to include the RTX card and take advantage of the ray tracing capability of this card. To save money we would consider moving down to the 8700K CPU or possibly going with a less robust cooler since we will not be overclocking. Required items: Case, PSU, CPU, CPU cooler, memory, motherboard, GPU, fans (if not included in the case) and 2 SSD including 1 M2 and one 2.5.I need all operating components of the PC, Windows 10 full edition and would like to add a good keyboard that will serve for gaming as well as a workhorse keyboard for a fairly fast typist. I would prefer a largish mid tower, well laid out with lots of air flow and dust filters. Would like one tinted glass panel preferably but not necessary.I want the case to be modern with thoughtful features for an easy build. I would like at least 2 USB 3.0 up front. RGB is not necessary but would be o.k.. Must be able to fit all components and not have restricted airflow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $418.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler | $89.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $184.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $114.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $149.99 @ Samsung
Storage | Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $147.99 @ Newegg Business
Video Card | Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card | $469.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit | $139.89 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1826.77
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $1806.77
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 22:11 EST-0500 |

Solution
This is probably hands down about the best case for the money, in that price range, if you plan to use an air cooler.

Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $119.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 22:20 EST-0500

Other cases I'd look at would include the Fractal design Define S2, which is basically the same case with more water cooling centric features but still very good for an air cooled system as there is really nothing to impede airflow from the front of the case to the CPU cooler, such as drive cages. Drive mounting is in the...
This is probably hands down about the best case for the money, in that price range, if you plan to use an air cooler.

Other cases I'd look at would include the Fractal design Define S2, which is basically the same case with more water cooling centric features but still very good for an air cooled system as there is really nothing to impede airflow from the front of the case to the CPU cooler, such as drive cages. Drive mounting is in the bottom of the case and on the back of the motherboard tray.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro M is also a very good case.

I'd look at all these.

Fractal design Define R6 Black TG
Fractal design Define S2
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (Has great airflow)
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG
Corsair crystal 570x RGB (Or 460x RGB)
Corsair Air 540

And the Lian-LI PC-001 Dynamic. It's a full tower but it's a hell of a case if you can find it in stock somewhere for a decent price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112583

Also the PC-001 Air

http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11-air/

Also, if your heart isn't set on Intel, for what you want to do, you could do a Ryzen 2700x build for probably a few hundred dollars less that would likely give you everything you need AND be capable of accepting new AMD processors as they are released through 2021, including the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series CPUs. The only downfall of that choice would be if you plan to have a need for VERY high FPS gaming in order to match up with a high refresh rate monitor. AMD will likely lack a few FPS compared to Intel at the very top of the stack.

Solution
Here is the list:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF X470-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.15 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($105.83 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($1229.91 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.11 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit ($189.00 @ B&H)
Monitor: Dell - S2716DGR 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($465.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3070.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 22:36 EST-0500

Extremely powerful build.

For 1440p 144Hz gaming I highly recommend getting RTX2080Ti.

Pretty sure he didn't ASK for a LIST. He asked for specific recommendations on a case, and a critique of the build he already has. Stop slinging builds in every thread just to see what sticks to the wall. Read, and adhere, to the questions that are asked. Getting tired of seeing builds slapped into every thread that might even remotely relate to a build request, but are not SPECIFICALLY a build request. It's lazy drive by service.

Pretty sure he didn't ASK for a LIST. He asked for specific recommendations on a case, and a critique of the build he already has. Stop slinging builds in every thread just to see what sticks to the wall. Read, and adhere, to the questions that are asked. Getting tired of seeing builds slapped into every thread that might even remotely relate to a build request, but are not SPECIFICALLY a build request. It's lazy drive by service.
Initially there was no listing so yes thought to provide a list. OP can compare his list to mine and decide.

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for all advice but no way can I afford that RTX 2080Ti. Lol. Over half my build budget! Was looking at the Fractal cases. Was there an issue with the i/o being connected to the front panel in front on the S2? Thought I read a complaint about it somewhere. Have to go look at the Fractal website- lots of variations to consider.

Elizabeth_B

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008

Other cases I'd look at would include the Fractal design Define S2, which is basically the same case with more water cooling centric features but still very good for an air cooled system as there is really nothing to impede airflow from the front of the case to the CPU cooler, such as drive cages. Drive mounting is in the bottom of the case and on the back of the motherboard tray.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro M is also a very good case.

I'd look at all these.

Fractal design Define R6 Black TG
Fractal design Define S2
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (Has great airflow)
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG
Corsair crystal 570x RGB (Or 460x RGB)
Corsair Air 540

And the Lian-LI PC-001 Dynamic. It's a full tower but it's a hell of a case if you can find it in stock somewhere for a decent price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112583

Also the PC-001 Air

http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11-air/

Also, if your heart isn't set on Intel, for what you want to do, you could do a Ryzen 2700x build for probably a few hundred dollars less that would likely give you everything you need AND be capable of accepting new AMD processors as they are released through 2021, including the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series CPUs. The only downfall of that choice would be if you plan to have a need for VERY high FPS gaming in order to match up with a high refresh rate monitor. AMD will likely lack a few FPS compared to Intel at the very top of the stack.

I was actually thinking about the 2700 x but was not sure about the cooling solution for it. I read the Wraith Prism cooler it comes with might not be as effective as an aftermarket one . I do want to stay with an air cooling solution for this build and all SSD too. Any suggestions?

No, it's really not. It's marginally good enough for stock operation, but it's loud and annoying under full loads. I'd definitely want an aftermarket cooler if you don't want to hear that while gaming or running any kind of continuously demanding applications. Especially if you have plans to overclock, which I understand you don't specifically intend to do.

I personally wouldn't advise that you rely on the Wraith cooler, however, if you DO decide to entertain the idea of a Ryzen platform, and end up going that way, you can always start out with that and then upgrade to a better cooler if you agree that it's not up to the task or that the noise levels are obnoxious.

@King Dranzer, I posted five minutes before you did, and took my TIME after reading his post to go find links and case recommendations. The build was listed when I looked at it so I know it was there when you looked at it. Plus, I see no edit in the post history, so you're just trying to BS and that's not cool.

No, it's really not. It's marginally good enough for stock operation, but it's loud and annoying under full loads. I'd definitely want an aftermarket cooler if you don't want to hear that while gaming or running any kind of continuously demanding applications. Especially if you have plans to overclock, which I understand you don't specifically intend to do.

I personally wouldn't advise that you rely on the Wraith cooler, however, if you DO decide to entertain the idea of a Ryzen platform, and end up going that way, you can always start out with that and then upgrade to a better cooler if you agree that it's not up to the task or that the noise levels are obnoxious.

@King Dranzer, I posted five minutes before you did, and took my TIME after reading his post to go find links and case recommendations. The build was listed when I looked at it so I know it was there when you looked at it. Plus, I see no edit in the post history, so you're just trying to BS and that's not cool.
Wraith Prism is on par with Cryorig H7 for cooling. Bit noisy agreed. Unless we try to push CPU to max OC it will be fine and decent OC is achievable.

I opened the post and then starting putting the list together and then posted it. It took me some time. When I initially opened the post the list was not included. As you said that there is no edit in post history. The edit of post is not showing up in new forum as it used to do in old one. Probably it will get fixed in time. You can check it by editing your own post and check if it is marked edited.

I have no reason to claim that there was no list included initially unless it really dint.