Question Trying to install a 1tb nvme, i already have an nvme in my pc that is running windows.

Jan 9, 2022
Ide like to turn the current nvme in my PC into a ssd by using an adapter with some SATA cables. The issue in having is I'm afraid my PC wont know where to pick up windows from. Is there any way I can change the pathing so it knows I moved the current one. I would attach the 1 tb nvme to the adapter but the heatsink on it makes it to large to fit and I cannot remove it. If it's as simple as plugging it all in and turning it on that would be awesome to know thanks in advance

Jan 9, 2022
What?
NVME drive is not compatible with sata cables.
Sata cables can be used with sata drives only.

NVME drive already is an SSD. This doesn't make any sense "turn nvme drive into ssd".

List full specs of your system.
The adapter I purchased is called "ngff adapter ngff to 2.5 sata converter m2 22 pin computer module board with screws. When I get done work I'll post more

NVMe drive and SATA drive are two different types of drives. The M.2 form factor can support both NVMe drives AND SATA drives. Many motherboards also support both NVMe and SATA in their M.2 slots.

However, you cannot use a SATA M.2 to U.2 adapter for NVMe drives. They are completely incompatible. If your NVMe is actually a SATA M.2 drive then it should work okay.

Basically, the M.2 form factor for drives (the one that looks like a stick of gum and connects directly to the motherboard) can be SATA or NVMe.

The adapter I purchased is called "ngff adapter ngff to 2.5 sata converter m2 22 pin computer module board with screws. When I get done work I'll post more
This thing?
It supports sata M.2 drives only. It doesn't support nvme drives.

Adaptador-ngff-para-2-5-sata-conversor-m2-22-pinos-da-placa-do-computador-placa-de.jpg

Some definitions are in order:
M.2 is a size spec. About the size of a stick of gum
A m.2 ssd can be either SATA or pcie.

NVME is a standard hardware interface for solid state drives.
It is used for both SATA and pcie ssd devices.

If you have multiple devices, your motherboard bios will have options to pick which of several bootable devices to boot from.

It would be helpful to list the make/model of all of the relevant parts along with what you wish to accomplish.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
can you add a pic of your NVME drive.. or atleast the model number..

im wondering if you have an m.2 nvme, or an m.2 sata drive (2 notches,) also known as NGFF(next gen form factor), basically a 6gb speed drive for the m.2 slot,., which would fit into a sata adaptor. i did this with my old "kingdian" 256gb ngff drive(.. handy if you only have 1 m.2 slot on your motherboard. but want to upgrade nvme drives.

Jan 9, 2022
My motherboard is 590-p0033w LGA1151 ddr4 lincs Intel.
My CPU is an Intel I5 9400f
My GPU is a nvidia 1660ti
16 gigs of ddr4 ram
The nvme I'm trying to install is wd_black sn850 1tb gen4 7000 MBs
The current nvme installed is a 256gb skhynix
I'm still learning all this computer stuff so if this isnt the right info I apologize.
I already have the adapter, I'm just not sure if I can just plug in and my computer will pick up where my old nvme was moved to or if it's going to try and read the new empty nvme.
Thanks again.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
My motherboard is 590-p0033w LGA1151 ddr4 lincs Intel.
My CPU is an Intel I5 9400f
My GPU is a nvidia 1660ti
16 gigs of ddr4 ram
The nvme I'm trying to install is wd_black sn850 1tb gen4 7000 MBs
The current nvme installed is a 256gb skhynix
I'm still learning all this computer stuff so if this isnt the right info I apologize.
I already have the adapter, I'm just not sure if I can just plug in and my computer will pick up where my old nvme was moved to or if it's going to try and read the new empty nvme.
Thanks again.

do you have a heat sink on the wd black sn850 nvme drive? if not it will over heat very fast, and shut down to protect itself.

Jan 9, 2022
Both of the nvmes I've been talking about are m.2 drives my fault. I thought I posted that as well. The problem I have right now is I only have one m.2 slot in my PC and i dont know/ feel like reinstalling windows. Or I would just replace the current one I have with the new one I got...
I was told there is an adapter I can purchase that will turn this m.2 nvme into a SATA cable connection. Untill I purchase I new motherboard. If anyone could point me in the right direction ide appreciate it.

USAFRet

Titan
Both of the nvmes I've been talking about are m.2 drives my fault. I thought I posted that as well. The problem I have right now is I only have one m.2 slot in my PC and i dont know/ feel like reinstalling windows. Or I would just replace the current one I have with the new one I got...
I was told there is an adapter I can purchase that will turn this m.2 nvme into a SATA cable connection. Untill I purchase I new motherboard. If anyone could point me in the right direction ide appreciate it.
That adapter is for a SATA M.2 drive.
Not a NVMe M.2 drive.

You can't connect an NVMe drive to a SATA adapter.
It will not work.