Trying to install Windows 7 - "A required CD/DVD driver is missing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cainy393

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I'm trying to install win 7 but when ever I try I get the message that a required CD/DVD driver is missing and then the installation won't continue until I locate said driver.
I have tried installing with a dvd which was burnt from a downloaded image. I have tried mounting the image to a usb and installing from there.
I've searched topics on the internet that suggest all sorts of things but none of them have worked for me. Any ideas?

cainy393

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Thats all very well and good except that to avoid these problems I mounted on a USB. However I still get the same message, which doesn't make sense as the optical drive is no longer needed.

cainy393

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I was sent the ISO on a disc by my brother who has the liscence. So downloading the ISO is not really an option fo me right now.

jjohnson18850

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I finally installed Windows 7 Professional. I tried all the tricks from several different forum answers / suggestions. But no luck. Then I thought: "hey, it might be a good idea to try to install an earlier version of Windows then do a full / clean install from there." So I tried to install Windows XP Professional 32-bit. After 3 - 5 minutes the install failed, "this installation has stopped to prevent any damage to your hardware." I am not sure but I did get to an Automatic Problem Fix screen somewhere in my efforts. I tried this but it failed also. Anyway, I think the most direct solution would be to install an earlier version of Windows and then install Windows 7 after, since all the drivers are then loaded. I think this is what occurred when I tried to install Windows XP Professional. Install an earlier version of Windows first. Then delete partitions / format as desired when installing Windows 7. (Please post this solution to at least one other forum. I can't get to them all. I don't have the time. Thanks.)

VBGuy81

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I used a USB DVD drive to do my install. When I had it plugged into a USB3 port it was giving me that error. I switched over to a USB2 port and error went away.

Reactions: Rems

mdisaacs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
VBGuy81 has it right.
The error clearly says DC/DVD driver is missing and I mistook it as needing SATA/RAID drivers too. Tried every AHCI driver I could find and nothing. Moved external DVD drive from USB3 port to USB2 and its works fine.

aeroon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
To the driver issue i found a fix to that problem. Look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7tyFFjSsA&feature=gp-n...
hope it helps!
cheers

Uller

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Just to let yawl know - I got he missing drivers box come up. I swapped the installation usb from USB 3 to USB 2 and so far so good.

Just waiting for the next problem now (The voice of doom) .........

Punith

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Thank u vry much guys,,,
u people really rock,,,,
plugging the usb drive from usb3 to 2.0 made it all,,,,thank u once again..

tater81

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you
This was the whole problem, THIS SOLUTION ACTUALLY WORKS

jatindersingh

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello All,

I was getting the same error and switching the USB ports did not help me. You get this error because you are installing OS from USB and the OS setup does not contain the required USB drivers. Now the question is - How to provide the drivers? When you plug-in another USB with drivers, it is not recognized because drivers are not there. You will notice that the setup does see hard drive in the system. So, you need to put those drivers on the hard drive so that you can browse them when the OS installation asks for it. Following was what I did and everything works as normal now.

You need a fully functional PC/Laptop and you need another USB drive/pen drive.

Step 1. Download Required USB drivers for the PC you are getting "Missing driver" error from the PC manufacturer's website. ( I recommend getting network / wireless drivers also )

Step 2. We need an operating system to copy these drivers on the PC's hard drive so that we can locate (Browse) them when asked for by the windows installation. This OS should be bootable from USB. Follow these steps :

Use second USB drive and make it bootable with UBUNTU OS (this is what I have used, and it is free! )

a) Use this software http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
Get ubuntu here - http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

b) Now boot your PC using ubuntu. Use "TRY" option. You do not need to install this OS because we want Windows.

c) Copy the missing drivers on the hard drive while you are in ubuntu.

d) Exit UBUNTU. Take the Ubuntu USB out.

Step 3. Start Windows OS installation.

Step 4. When you see "Missing Driver" Error, Browse to the location where you have placed the drivers while we were in ubuntu.

Step 5. Windows installation will install USB drivers and proceed forward.

Step 6. After you install windows, you need to connect to windows update so that it gets all the required drivers.

If your wireless or the wired network is working then you are lucky, but if not, How to install the network/wireless drivers? Your answer should be - Use USB drive to install those drivers. Guess what? If you use the USB port now even after windows installation, it is not working. We need to place the USB drivers on C: drive again using UBUNTU.

Step 7. Load Ubuntu, copy USB / wireless / Network drivers on c: drive and exit ubuntu.

Step 8 . Start normal Windows from hard drive. Install USB / network drivers

Everything should work as normal.

Good Luck everyone !

Pedro Alecrim

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

I was trying to install windows 7 and got stucked with this error for up to 3 hours...just change the usb port...worked just fine...Thank you so mutch...

Best regards from Portugal

Onkar Nath

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
I Got a solution from a random Blog...Whenever the message comes ""A required CD/DVD device driver is missing"" ..just cancel it and you will be returned back to the Welcome screen ...Now take the usb drive out of the USB port and insert it in some other port and now press "install Now" and the magic begins...Holla ...Cheers !!!!

**Technology should be as tough as to be learned as it was to be discovered.**

LuisAlfonso

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

It worked! Thank you.

fixor

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014

ThankYou VBGuy81!
works fine on HPZ820.

hfinger

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

Most of the respondents to your question were trying to install off an external CD/DVD drive or from a memory stick, either of which is plugged into a USB port.

But I get exactly the same problem installing off a downloaded Windows Installer .iso on the INTERNAL CD/DVD drive. Can anybody help?

davidimcintosh

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
I was getting the same error. I tried booting with the USB boot key in each and every USB port. No luck. I had also, in fact, tried to include the USB3.0 drivers in the Windows7 Install disk (in the boot.wim file, as per http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/32302-How-to-install-Windows-7-from-a-USB-3-0-Thumb-Drive-(FAST-installation!) ), to no avail. What worked for me was to change one of the BIOS settings. I have an ASUS Zenbook UX32a, and one BIOS setting was a "pre-boot" USB setting to "provide USB3.0 support" to DOS. I changed this from "Enabled" to "Smart-auto", and the problem went away.

Xfilez DaGreatest

Reputable
May 8, 2014
I had the same problem with installing the DVD it wasn't cooperating and to make matters worse my darn USB ports wasn't working for some ungodly reason ,anyway if you have a program that allow you to mount it to a virtual drive like "Poweriso" etc . try installing from there by mounting the ISO to the virtual drive .. That's what I did and it WORKED and the install was the fastest I have ever seen ultimate edition x86 sp 1 install less than 20 mins I could not believe it until it finished install and It started when I rebooted. I hope this helped someone if not many.

andrejan

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I was getting the same error. I tried booting with the USB boot key in each and every USB port. No luck. Then I used a different USB drive pen, and error went away. The first USB flash drive has been noname, while others Patriot. So, I think, Windows has no driver for the first USB flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.