[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade and I'm stumped.

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Cont. from https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-specs-are-high-so-why-do-my-games-run-poorly.3581101/

Man, have I screwed up. March 2020, Friday the 13th: After updating my BIOS on a motherboard running Win 7, it died on boot up. After consulting a techie about it he said the updates were not compatible with Win 7 (I think it had something to do with that wufuc (https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc) program I installed).

Anyways the lockdown happened so he couldn't fix it. After leaving it for a while and realising the pandemic wasn't going to end, I figured that it was time to DIY and update my OS. I removed the SDD with Win 7 and formatted it on another PC, I got a windows 8.1 Pro key and burned the ISO on to a DVD, (that came with it's own set of problems but I think I got it fixed...), but to my surprise Windows boot manager, is still on my SSD.

Why?

"Windows faild to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

ok?

So I figured Win 8 Installation would fix that. When it asked me where do I want to install Windows on the custom installation option I selected the SSD and...

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"
&
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Restarted this time seceting "Repair your computer" option on Win 8 setup
and selected "startup repair" "Diagnosing"... "Attempting repair"...blank... restart... same windows boot manager, status and info.

Start Win 8 again. Back on custom installation. After selecting the Format option for the SSD the same notifications as before came up.

It is now at this point that I realised that I don't know what the hell i'm doing and should probably stop. So...

HELP!
PLEASE!!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
RAM: Patriot Viper Series 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
MB: ASUS STRIX Z270E GAMING (LGA1151)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD / 2TB Seagate ST2000DM HDD/ Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Monitor: BenQ EW277HDR (1920x1080@60Hz)

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for getting back to me.
I followed the command prompt instructions. I selected the Partition with the most space and when I got to "active" a message saying:
"The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk.
The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks."
That's weird. The last thing you can try, disable the CSM on the BIOS.
If they still doesn't work, I would recommend to use Win 10 instead 8.
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"
&
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."
How about check into your BIOS menu ? I'm not sure if your BIOS appearance is same like this or not, but just try it
  • go to "Boot" section,
  • select "CSM (Compability Support Module)",
  • you will find "Boot Device Control" , make sure they are set as "UEFI"

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
How about check into your BIOS menu ? I'm not sure if your BIOS appearance is same like this or not, but just try it
  • go to "Boot" section,
  • select "CSM (Compability Support Module)",
  • you will find "Boot Device Control" , make sure they are set as "UEFI"

Ok, I set it from "UEFI and Legacy OPROM" to "UEFI only".

When I got to Custom installation and selected the drive it now says:
"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information see the set up log files."

Ok, I set it from "UEFI and Legacy OPROM" to "UEFI only".

When I got to Custom installation and selected the drive it now says:
"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information see the set up log files."
Make sure the partition is active ? If you don't know how to do it, follow the step on this page : https://neosmart.net/wiki/set-partition-as-active/

Go to "Set partition as active on Windows 8" section.

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Make sure the partition is active ? If you don't know how to do it, follow the step on this page : https://neosmart.net/wiki/set-partition-as-active/

Go to "Set partition as active on Windows 8" section.

I followed the command prompt instructions. I selected the Partition with the most space and when I got to "active" a message saying:

Solution

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020

Thanks for your time in all this bud.

I'm just wondering if It's the way I formatted the SSD in the firstplace or if the wufuc dowload has messed the BIOS/MB up.

TRENDING THREADS