Trying to upgrade GUA2600BST prebuilt piece by piece, new RAM won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2021
Hi, I have a GUA2600BST prebuilt from CyberPowerPC (from a couple years ago and I didn't buy it myself) and I'm looking to upgrade it over the next year (part by part to manage my budget). The first thing I wanted to do was upgrade from 8 GB of RAM to 32 GB.

I purchased 4 of the following RAM sticks (I gave my existing 8GB stick to my dad, who has the same prebuilt as me, so that he could upgrade to 16 GB):

G.SKILL Aegis 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3000C16S-8GISB

After we upgraded, my dad's PC worked with the extra RAM stick (my old one) but mine was unable to boot with the 4 new sticks of RAM, and didn't even show any error messages or anything of the sort. The PC case itself lit up like normal but I was met with a permanent black screen.

You can find specs for the prebuilt online but here are the main components:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC
Motherboard: MSI B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

I understand that the Ryzen 5 1400 only supports up to DDR4-2666 speed RAM, but I was under the impression that any RAM with higher speeds would simply run slower at the CPU's limit, which is fine for now since I plan on upgrading my CPU eventually. In addition, I believe my motherboard supports up to DDR4-3200 speed RAM, so there should be no issues there. I also checked the compatibility through PCPartPicker by putting in all my current specs in addition to the new RAM, and there seemed to be no compatibility issues anywhere.

I started with all 4 sticks, but after it originally didn't work I also tried using 2 sticks and even just 1 stick, but both of those also did not work. There seems to be no internal PC problems since I ended up putting my old stick of RAM back in and it booted up just fine. Can someone let me know if I'm missing something regarding compatibility issues or if there's any way I can fix this? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

P.S.: If I accidentally posted this in the wrong place feel free to move it to its appropriate forum!

Your part number point to single sticks.
As stated above, forget about trying to get them to work.
Purchase a matched set of 4 sticks in one package.

Reactions: rgd1101
Jan 29, 2021
Feel free to close this thread: after giving it a rest for a couple hours I tried again and was able to get it to work, I did nothing noticeably different (although for some reason the lights inside my PC changed from red to yellow?) but I can assume it was some minor form of human error. Thank you to everyone who tried to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.