Trying to upgrade to 16 GB

impet25

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
i have Corsair vengeance 2x4 and I wanna know if adding 2 more sticks would give me any issues, and most importantly will the frequency split between the 4 sticks (400 MHz each) and will I be sacrificing performance by adding the 2 or should I sell the 2 sticks I have and get 2x8. My specs are i7 3770k, GA-Z77X-D3H,GTX 980ti hybrid, pc power and cooling 950 watt silver. Thanx.

Solution
I would sell your current sticks and replacing them with 2x8GB sticks.

Mixing RAM is usually never a good idea - they may play well together or they won't let the computer boot at all.

Getting new sticks pretty much guarantees you won't have an issue.
I would sell your current sticks and replacing them with 2x8GB sticks.

Mixing RAM is usually never a good idea - they may play well together or they won't let the computer boot at all.

Getting new sticks pretty much guarantees you won't have an issue.

Solution

sammy sung

Distinguished
Nine times out of ten identical kits will work in tandem with one another. When they don't work together another nine times out of ten it's a memory error you'll receive as opposed to the system simply not booting. For any configuration you'll want to memtest them for at least a full day.

It's never really advised to use two separate kits, even identical ones. It's kind of like, "I'm 95% sure these berries aren't poisonous." You want to be certain in order to not pay a hefty price.