News TSMC Refuses To Disclose Clients' Data to the U.S. Govt, Taiwan to Back it Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
wow, I hope her "tool" is a ban on importation of TSMC products; that would greatly help the shortage for the civilized world (All that is non USA).

Reactions: artk2219

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I don't see why they would be asking for this. The US government is not entitled to that information even if TSMC were US based, let alone their current location.
Indeed. Not sure why they would even bother asking for it. If a foreign gov't tried to force Intel to release similar information it would be an international crisis.

I don't see why they would be asking for this. The US government is not entitled to that information even if TSMC were US based, let alone their current location.

They claim it's so they can try to identify and help alleviate the supply chain issues. Which makes some sense, but they don't need individual customer data for that. All they need to know is how many chips you can fabricate at each plant, and what shortages you have at each plant.

Reactions: artk2219

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Imagine some another government asking a US company for confidential information. The US would probably go for another invasion if anyone dared.

Give me one example of where the US has invaded a country because they asked for confidential information. Just one.

(China forces companies to transfer intellectual property in order to manufacture there, and we haven't waged war on them yet.)

Reactions: artk2219 and hasten

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Reading between the lines here, for the Biden administration cough to ask for this kind of private corporate data, it looks like Intel has been whispering to suborned DOJ regulators that TSMC is doing "anti-competitive" things simply because they are so far ahead of Intel--let's hope not! Last thing we need is nitwit regulators trying to diminish the Taiwanese competitors using a weaponized DOJ! We've already seen hints that the DOJ is not above being used as a political hatchet man by this administration--but I hope I am wrong. US government should also take note that TSMC has made public its plans to invest billions into the US for FABs here!

cc2onouui

Prominent
Oct 3, 2021
Maybe because there'd be no Taiwan if it wasn't for the US taxpayer.
For the taxpayer the matter mean nothing to defend it(it's not the taxpayer who asking TSMC for information) the US government with these questions still respecting TSMC more than a lot (which is not a lot)the taxpayer is not in the same team, to fix the supply chains for "automotive sector" what sector they want TSMC to cut production on? anyway I wonder why intel fab is not grabbed as a fast solution for the automotive problem, If the US government succeed in fixing the supply chains for automotive sector forcing TSMC, and your next dream GPU cost you 6000$+ don't blame Taiwan too much, but cheers if the automotive sector gives you your tax money back

For the taxpayer the matter mean nothing to defend it(it's not the taxpayer who asking TSMC for information) the US government with these questions still respecting TSMC more than a lot (which is not a lot)the taxpayer is not in the same team, to fix the supply chains for "automotive sector" what sector they want TSMC to cut production on? anyway I wonder why intel fab is not grabbed as a fast solution for the automotive problem, If the US government succeed in fixing the supply chains for automotive sector forcing TSMC, and your next dream GPU cost you 6000$+ don't blame Taiwan too much, but cheers if the automotive sector gives you your tax money back
https://www.crn.com/news/components...enate-passage-of-52b-in-semiconductor-funding

And the trade off ... Intel screws the Brits on the current US administration's behalf.

https://www.techpowerup.com/287574/...reason-for-chip-fab-plans-in-uk-not-an-option

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Give me one example of where the US has invaded a country because they asked for confidential information. Just one.

(China forces companies to transfer intellectual property in order to manufacture there, and we haven't waged war on them yet.)

Do you even have brain? China NEVER force companies to transfer IP! It was a mutual agreement. China gives incentives, like no tax and free land, to companies who want to set up factory in China. In return, China asked for technologies sharing. On the other hand, US FORCE companies to surrender whatever they want when US corporations are losing. One good example is France Alstom. Go read the book called "The American Trap", if you can even read!

Status
Not open for further replies.