News TSMC Rumored to Increase Capacity of Arizona Fab

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
What a surprise. About a week ago Joe Biden explained to subsidize US semiconductor manufacturers with approx. 37 billion US$ ... :D

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This is great news! This project needs to be built. It's not going to be any cheaper next month/year/decade than it is now. Build it and hopefully logistics, weather, and supply disruptions will be less of an issue thanks to more diversified production locations.

Giroro

Splendid
Because it isn't Texas.
Texas at least already has an established supply chain for semicinductors, and coastal ports (although, the wrong coast).
Who's based on Arizona? I think Microchip Technologies and ON semiconductor, I'm not sure if they use TSMC though.

Maybe this is a case of "It's sorta close to southern California and 1/20th the cost"

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Who's based on Arizona? I think Microchip Technologies and ON semiconductor, I'm not sure if they use TSMC though.
There's a small up and coming semiconductor company in Chandler called Intel. They have 4 fabs there including their newest one, a 10/7nm fab that started production last year. I'm sure the supply chain is fine there.

Reactions: hotaru.hino