TSMC's 28nm Technology Now in Volume Production

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]AMD went with GoFlo because that's who they have a business deal with. [/citation]

Uhm, I think you're forgetting that one of TMSCs primary costumers are AMD and their Radeon GPUs. AMD has very solid engeneering reasons behind going with GloFo's more advanced SOI process.

It should be noted that TMSC expect to shift to the SOI process as well at the 20nm node. More specifically the FD-SOI process which will be similar to Intels possible future 14nm FinFet technology in performance and transistor packing density

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
AMD can't switch their CPU process that quickly. They would have to do a completely new tape out. It's not like you can take the same masks from GF and just pass them off to TSMC. They have different standard cell libraries and you're looking at a significant NRE and redesign.

G

do you think the HPL or HPM TSMC 28nm process could surprisingly use SOI to reduce AMD's glofo dependance ?

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I think if and only if developers starting optimizing some of their code for bulldozer, then it'll be the superior chip. but with intel's strangle hold on the industry, that's not likely to happen, and developers won't spend resources to write bulldozer specific code.

Umm read again, AMD already has a business agreement in place with GoFlo for AMD CPU's. It's ATI that had the TSMC agreement in place. And while ATI is owned by AMD, AMD largely lets them run their own show and rightfully so. At some point in the future AMD may decide to switch fab providers, it would have to be a long term business decision.

gionder

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
I think that you people don't use correctly the interrogation symbol. It should not be used when you're not certain of what you're talking about nor to express you're anxious or hesitant, but to ask questions.

Go back to school, gang member school abiding fags! :eek: xD Maybe i was just a bit too harsh, but fk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.