TSMC's 28nm Technology Now in Volume Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]bigolsillygoose[/nom]SNB-E release next month + 7970 release by year's end = happiness explosion[/citation]hell yeah im finally going to upgrade my phenom Ii 940 by this year hopefully

Swindez95

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
So at current rate I believe the foundries are close to churning out a new smaller manufacturing process about every two years or a little more given that once a manufacturing node comes along they are already planning the next one. What I want to see what they plan to do when they can no longer physically make chips and such any smaller due to too much loss due to QT and the like. I mean there has been talks of different computing methods such as quantum computing but the only working prototype is still just a glimmer in the eye of engineers who are developing it. The only way I see future processors improving is through architecture design changes and not so much being able to fit more transistors in a given die size. However I do see there being alot of improvement if software, and I mean ALL software could take advantage of true parallel processing to use every last transistor to get work done. But we all know that isnt going to happen because hardware has always been far ahead of software and most likely always will unless something dramatic changes.

No the only way I see physical improvements happening in the future is if big chip companies start funding more research into alternative processing methods like quantum computers and coming up with ways to represent data in more than just 0's and 1's. I know I might be far fetching this a bit but something somewhere at sometime is going to have to change dramatically or otherwise technological advances like we have seen in the past 10-15 years is going to slow to a mere crawl in the next 10-15 years in the computer segment.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]cant they also fab AMD's CPU's??[/citation]

Why would AMD chose a bulk process it's CPUs? GloFo's 32nm SOI process packs transistors as close TSMC's 28nm bulk process and while being similar to the high performance type has a power consumption per transistor similar to the low power type from TSMC.

You're really comparing apple produce to Apple products here, ie. it's completely different things entirely.

[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Why would AMD chose a bulk process it's CPUs? GloFo's 32nm SOI process packs transistors as close TSMC's 28nm bulk process and while being similar to the high performance type has a power consumption per transistor similar to the low power type from TSMC.You're really comparing apple produce to Apple products here, ie. it's completely different things entirely.[/citation]

No its actually pretty much the same. AMD went with GoFlo because that's who they have a business deal with. With the recent low yields and productions problems they may be changing business partners.

TSMC is an old company who has a pretty solid history, they churn out alot of chips every year, chips that go inside pretty much every electronic device on the planet.

That is why someone would want to go with them, you know your product will get made, made the way you want it and made in the quantity you need.

3D chip stacking is what Samsung's going for now.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead.do?news_seq=19766&page=1&gltype=globalnews

Currently chips are etched on several silicon wafers and layered ontop of each other. Going to a more dense 3D design would dramatically increase the amount of space available and reduce the power usage, but would also make heat dissipation a critical concern.

http://chipdesignmag.com/lpd/blog/2011/10/06/samsung-micron-unveil-3d-stacked-memory-and-logic/

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Why would AMD chose a bulk process it's CPUs? GloFo's 32nm SOI process packs transistors as close TSMC's 28nm bulk process and while being similar to the high performance type has a power consumption per transistor similar to the low power type from TSMC.You're really comparing apple produce to Apple products here, ie. it's completely different things entirely.[/citation]

Oh thanks for the clarification.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]Once GloFo have finished their NY fab, AMD will be in a far better position to meet demand.[/citation]

There is no problem meeting demand as many AMD users have jump to Intel since Bulldozer... well, sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.