Question Tt rgb software causing ingame lag

Xantosh

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
Long story short, restored an old fx9370 system for family but the radiator fans were dying so i purchased the Thermaltake Riing Trio 3 pack and installed their program but soon as you start a game there is massive input lag about every 15 to 30 secs for about 3 secs, and i confirmed it was Tt's program causing it because soon as i closed it the input lag spikes went away but there is a catch 22, I can't control the fan speeds anymore and i can see the water temp climbing to 37c+ on a 360mm radiator (coretemp shows spikes up into the 50c range), so the temps seem fine but the lack of pretty bling control is annoying.

System details:
FX9370 stock speed turbo off
Asus CVFZ
Team Xtreem 2x8GB 2400MHz (clocked at 2133)
1TB seagate hdd
AMD RX570 4GB
Xspc Raystorm am3+ cpu block
Xspc AX360 radiator (this is what the fans cool)
Xspc D5 Vario
Tt riing trio x3 with controller box

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Short answer: To fix your issue, upgrade your CPU.

Long answer:
RGB software is relatively CPU heavy and depending on the software and profile you have running, it can take quite a good part of the CPU power to keep it going.

For example: I have i5-6600K with lots of Corsair RGB peripherals (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig). If i set my KB RGB to "rainbow", my CPU usage will go up. Not enough to cause input lag but enough to be noticeable from time to time during gaming. If i set my KB RGB to solid color (e.g red), i have no input lags during gaming whatsoever since my Corsair iCUE doesn't use that much CPU performance anymore.

FX-9370, despite being 8 core CPU, is now 6 years old and it's low performance is starting to show. E.g current mid-tier CPU, i5-8400, despite having 2x less cores (6 core vs 8 core) and 1.6 Ghz slower CPU clock (2.8 Ghz vs 4.4 Ghz), is considerably better than FX-9370,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-9370-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/2005vs3939