[SOLVED] tuf gaming X570 crashes when playing games

Jan 16, 2022
MotherboardTUF Gaming X570 Pro
ProcessorRyzen 5 3600X - cooling nzxt kraken m22
Memory (part number)tridentz neo F4-3600c16D-16GTZNC (2X8)
Graphics Card XFX RX6600 210 swift
drive Samsung evo 970 plus NVMe
psu Cosair HX850
OS Win 10 (21H1)
On paper looks ok, but when assembled crashes every time a play a game. the two games I have been testing is GSGO and COD warzone. I have tried everything I can think of. I have reloaded windows. I have updated, scrubbed, re-installed video drivers. I have updated BIOS. I have RMA'd both the processor and the MOBO. I have tested the RAM, and swapped RAM. I have swapped video cards. Temp is normal ranges Processor 24-44 C video card 40-60 C. I have turned on DOCP. voltages seem within range. The only error I get is vague AMD radeon error the video driver has timed out. I am at loss here. any help is great.

Solution
Yeah, if the card works fine on another system, and there are no changes on the original system even with multiple power supplies and minimal hardware connected, it pretty much seems like it has to be motherboard related.

I'd bet they sent you the same board back and didn't actually replace it at all. I've seen this happen a LOT on RMAs. And they pretty much don't tell you squat, they just sent you back the board and note that it's working. Yes, working, but NOT working with my hardware or in a specific set of conditions.

Unless they sent you back a brand new, shrink wrapped package that had obviously never been opened, I'd be really surprised if it had been replaced at all.

ASUS, well, I won't get started on how bad they've gotten...
I'd recommend that you update to 21H2, first, and then make sure you've gone and manually downloaded and installed the latest motherboard drivers for audio and onboard network adapters from the motherboard product page as well as downloading and installing the latest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website for your CPU model.

Also, how long has that HX850 been in service?

Jan 16, 2022
I'd recommend that you update to 21H2, first, and then make sure you've gone and manually downloaded and installed the latest motherboard drivers for audio and onboard network adapters from the motherboard product page as well as downloading and installing the latest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website for your CPU model.

Also, how long has that HX850 been in service?

It was doing the same even when I had upgraded to Windows 11. I have updated every driver I can thing of. Chipset, video (both whql and the optional).

the power supply has been about 5 years I think. I tried a smaller PSU I had lying around (750) it wouldn't even power up the system.

the power supply has been about 5 years I think. I tried a smaller PSU I had lying around (750) it wouldn't even power up the system.

This makes it look even more like a power supply issue to be honest. What is the exact model of the PSU you had "lying around" and how old is IT?

Granted, the HX is a good power supply, but even great power supplies can have problems and at five years old, that becomes a lot more possible. Could also be a drive issue. Are you games stored on a different drive than the OS, and if so, what are the models of all other connected drives, their age, and have you run any health tests on them at all?

Jan 16, 2022
[/QUOTE]
This makes it look even more like a power supply issue to be honest. What is the exact model of the PSU you had "lying around" and how old is IT?

OS and game on same drive. swapped drive too. was a samsung evo 860 TB SSD and then put in a Samsung evo 970 Plus NVMe drive.

the lying around PSU was a rosewell SMG750

No reviews at all of the SMG750, which usually doesn't speak well, but lacking that information, how old is that unit?

Have you had ANY problems when not gaming, or ONLY when gaming have you seen any crashes?

Regarding updating drivers, how? How are you updating drivers and updating them to WHAT? Are you using an automatic utility of some kind, or relying on Windows update, or manually going to the product pages for the motherboard and other hardware and getting them from there and manually installing them to the latest versions?

Jan 16, 2022
No reviews at all of the SMG750, which usually doesn't speak well, but lacking that information, how old is that unit?

Have you had ANY problems when not gaming, or ONLY when gaming have you seen any crashes?

Regarding updating drivers, how? How are you updating drivers and updating them to WHAT? Are you using an automatic utility of some kind, or relying on Windows update, or manually going to the product pages for the motherboard and other hardware and getting them from there and manually installing them to the latest versions?

updated through motherboard app Armoury Crate.

Screen will blank out sometime during browsing and radeon driver error report window pop up. if I turn off bug reporting just black screen. rarely a system reboot

Any chance of trying the card in another system? Friend's system or something? Or, trying a different card in that system? Really seem like maybe a card issue.

Also, I wouldn't trust Armory crate or any other utility for updating drivers. I would highly recommend going to the AMD website and downloading the latest AMD chipset drivers and installing them manually. Then get the latest drivers for audio and network adapters from the motherboard product page. I've seen too many cases of bundled motherboard software like Armory crate causing more problems than they solve to have any love or trust for them.

Jan 16, 2022
Any chance of trying the card in another system? Friend's system or something? Or, trying a different card in that system? Really seem like maybe a card issue.

Also, I wouldn't trust Armory crate or any other utility for updating drivers. I would highly recommend going to the AMD website and downloading the latest AMD chipset drivers and installing them manually. Then get the latest drivers for audio and network adapters from the motherboard product page. I've seen too many cases of bundled motherboard software like Armory crate causing more problems than they solve to have any love or trust for them.

replaced the psu with 1000w antec high current gamer . Still crashing.

Jan 16, 2022
Yeah, I was pretty skeptical about it actually being the power supply.

I'd try the card in another system if you can.
tried the new video card in my old rig it worked flawless. ran cod warzone without issue. I have raised the white flag. I rma the second board and am looking for another mobo. looking at non asus board. like the X570 chip. thinking maybe the MSI tomahawk

Yeah, if the card works fine on another system, and there are no changes on the original system even with multiple power supplies and minimal hardware connected, it pretty much seems like it has to be motherboard related.

I'd bet they sent you the same board back and didn't actually replace it at all. I've seen this happen a LOT on RMAs. And they pretty much don't tell you squat, they just sent you back the board and note that it's working. Yes, working, but NOT working with my hardware or in a specific set of conditions.

Unless they sent you back a brand new, shrink wrapped package that had obviously never been opened, I'd be really surprised if it had been replaced at all.

ASUS, well, I won't get started on how bad they've gotten over the last few years when it comes to shiesty customer service.

I try to target almost entirely Gigabyte and ASRock these days.

Solution