profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
i got a 170t monitor and i am real happy about it, and i think i want to keep this monitor for a long time, so what kind of mentainance should i do with this monitor. does it matter then i turn it off and on all the time. i have a tendence that turn off my monitor when i leave the room, a couple of times each house when i am at the computer. is this bad for the backlights?
thanx

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Nah, it's fine. Just don't poke it, and when it needs cleaning, very, very gently use a soft cloth to wipe the screen. Um, also don't get any moisture on it cause it causes there funky streaks.

Sig of the week.

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
I think turning on and off too often is not good for any electronic component, my understanding is that the problem is not so much of electric spike the on/off generate, but rather heatup/cool down cycle might loosen solder over time!

beside, most lcd use only around 50w! so why bother if you only leave the room for short period of time!

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
sure your right, but the thing is that i like to turn it off, because i have my lcd in a corridor. like in this house there is a desk and a office between the master bedroom and the otehr bedrooms, so there are always people walking by. thats why i like to turn the monitor off when i leave the computer, even just for a minute or 2. but anyway i wont care anymore if they notice that i do

thanx for you respond

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
wow, thats like 250mA right. Wow, my CRT uses 1.8A, which is the equivilant of 432Watts!!!! Cant wait until I get my new Iiyama :)))

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

blexxun

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
The number of cold starts have only a visual impact when
the number of on/off cycles exceeds half a million. So its
better to turn *off* the LCD monitor when not in use.

For details see my old posting in the solarism displays thread.